• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First Brisket

Started by Smoke N Austin, October 03, 2009, 07:31:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoke N Austin

Hi All,

I am a new DBS owner. Just got it this week and have been waiting all week to do a brisket so started it this morning. I am doing 4 hours of Hickory then wrap in foil with a few sprays and applejuice then back in the DBS for the rest of the time. Does this sound like an ok idea? I plan on trying WTS' recipe next time, but wanted to try start to finish in the DBS first. My dad made the best brisket I have ever tasted, but unfortunately I was not able to get his recipes and methods before he passed on, so starting from scratch and keeping my fingers crossed.  Here's a pic about 1 1/2 hours into smoke.

Quarlow

Looks good so far SNA. Sounds like you are on the right track.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

squirtthecat

Welcome SnA!  Yeah, sounds like you are off to a good start.  

Be sure to dump/refill the water dish after the 4 hours of smoke is done, keep the vent at lest 2/3rds open, and try to resist peeking..

Do you have a remote temperature probe to keep an eye on the internal temps?   The meat will tell you when it's finished..    I've done a few now, and did them entirely in the Bradley.

Did you put any kind of rub on the brisket?

Smoke N Austin

The rub I put on was a pretty simple one.

1/2 cup paprika
1/3 cup brown sugar
3 T. garlic powder
3 T. onion powder
2 T. oregano

I also found this recipe for BBQ sauce that is supposedly the recipe of LBJ's pit boss.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup cider vinegar
3 stalks celery, chopped
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons chopped onion
3 bay leaves
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon salt
pinch of black pepper
Preparation:
Mix all ingredients together. Place in saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and strain.

Smoke N Austin

Should I wait for it to reach a certain temp before wrapping it in foil? Thought I saw somewhere to let it reach 170 before wrapping or boating it.

squirtthecat

I usually wait 6 hours.   4 hours of smoke, then 2 more after changing out the water.

Hopefull Romantic

Congrtulations on your first brisket and welcome to the forum and the world of smoke addiction.

Great people here willing to help just for your asking.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Pachanga

I am just finishing 10 briskets averaging 10 to 12 lbs.  I smoked three or four at a time over several days.  Foil didn't touch any of them until they went into a cooler for several hours and then to the table or freezer.  My preference is to firm the bark up naked like all the BBQ joints here in Texas.  Foiling during cooking is known as the "Texas Crutch" on the BBQ circuit and I've seen offset smokers use it often due to their dry heat.  Not necessary in the Bradley or  any other smoker (including and offset) if you keep a water source in the smoker and that moisture passes over the meat with the smoke.

The trick is to keep moisture in the bottom of the smoker at all times.  I replace the little bowl provided with the smoker with a foil pan that covers the whole bottom of the smoker.  Fill and refill it with boiling water so there is no recovery time.  A big bonus is this will also help to hold the temperature in the proper range of 225 degrees.

Put a probe in the flat of the lowest (which should be the largest) brisket in the Bradley.  Check for fork tender in the flat at 185  degrees and very five degrees after that.  195 degrees is where most of my briskets come off.  

My briskets are naked, moist and fall apart tender.  Sliced brisket cuts with a fork.  The bark is dark and with just the right amount of firmness. Just my opinion but it sure works for me.  I'm didn't just smoke 10 briskets because people don't like them this way.

Keep it low and slow and enjoy.

Pachanga

classicrockgriller

Austin, looks good. I'm in Texas too and I think I can smell your smoke over here. Like Pac said low and slow.
Pac, I like the idea of the full pan covering the bottom. Thanks   CRG

Smoke N Austin

Thanks for the great advice everyone! It's smelling good! Sitting at about 156 8 hours in. HUNGRY!!!!

Habanero Smoker

Hi Smoke N Austin;

Welcome to the forum. Nice looking brisket.

Hi Pachanga;

Good to see you posting again.

Here is a link to Pachanga's method of smoking briskets.
Brisket Pachanga

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Caneyscud

Welcome Austin,  Was just in your city for a day last Thursday.  Flew in and ate at Salt Lick for the 1st time - went to a Central Market, then to Buda for the Cabelas, before hitting Granzin's meat market in New Braunfels and then off to Seguin.  That brisket will be tasty. 

For my money, Pachanga has you dialed in for the best tasting brisket - naked-like.  I also use a much simpler rub - salt, pepper, cayenne - never sugar - it seems strange to have sugar on a brisket to me.   Many like it, but it is not what I am used to.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

classicrockgriller

Just read "Brisket Pachanga"...I could taste the brisket after I got thru reading that. That goes to the top of my todo list. Thanks Hab and Pachanga.   CRG