• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

freezing bacon

Started by Toker, October 06, 2009, 02:59:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toker

Hi everyones, i have a little question for those of you that could answer it. Right now i have about 25 pounds of belly in the freezer not smoked once i defrost it to cure and smoke can i freeze it back or could it affect anything? You know freeze, defrost, freeze...

So thx in advance Frank

FLBentRider

I would say yes.

At long as there is "additional processing" - your curing and smoking - involved - you are ok.

I have also frozen, thawed and refrozed cooked meats without a problem.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

manxman

Hi toker.... there is no problem refreezing after you have made your bacon but I would not leave it too long in the freezer as cured (salty) fat can go rancid after a couple of months in the freezer. If freezing I tend to slice and vacuum pack in meal sized portions rather than freeze a big slab of bacon.

Once cured and smoked bacon does have a good shelf life if vacuum packed in the fridge, I have even wrapped slabs of bacon in an old t-towel or greaseproof paper and kept in the fridge for a good while.

I normally eat the bacon I make within 3 months but I have left it in the fridge for up to 6 months as an experiment and it has been fine to eat. After that I began to worry a bit so used the rest as lobster bait!!  ::)

However shelf life does depend on how it was cured in the first place so you may feel happier refreezing.

Manxman

Toker

Thanks but with all the publicity I've made around this bacon i seriously doubt it will last 6 months but thx for the freezing tips on how long...and sure i will slice and vac seal it in bags of 1 pound.

BTW at what temp should i bring it? Last time i brought it at 142 and it was a fatty mess in my obs and i did not eat it raw anyway. so if i bring it to 138 like others say, is it OK as long as i fry it in a pan and do not eat it raw? And how much fat will my obs ground save? Maybe i would be better trimming it a bit, i did last time and it did not affect the taste fully moist tender and it was still over fat for my taste.
                                                          Frank

manxman

QuoteMaybe i would be better trimming it a bit, i did last time and it did not affect the taste fully moist tender and it was still over fat for my taste.

Sounds like you may need to trim a bit more fat off rather than adjust the temperature?
Manxman

FLBentRider

If you are going to fry it anyway, IMHO, it really does not matter what temp you take it to. You could cold smoke it.

That said, I think I did 140F the last time.

Sometimes the belly has a section that is just not lean enough....

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Toker

OK i'll trim it more and bring it to 140 to see. thx

lophole

I cold smoke, slice, vacuum pack in meal size packs and freeze. Have had no problems even when I found "lost" packs in the freezer 1 year later.
lophole

manxman

QuoteI cold smoke, slice, vacuum pack in meal size packs and freeze. Have had no problems even when I found "lost" packs in the freezer 1 year later.

If I end up freezing bacon that is how I do it and normally i don't have a problem. However on a couple of occasions the fat has gone rancid and I have not been able to pin it down to anything I have done differently.

I then had a look on the internet and there are one or two other refences to this, not suggesting don't do it but just to be aware of a possible problem.  :)
Manxman

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: toker on October 06, 2009, 03:59:41 AM
Thanks but with all the publicity I've made around this bacon i seriously doubt it will last 6 months but thx for the freezing tips on how long...and sure i will slice and vac seal it in bags of 1 pound.

BTW at what temp should i bring it? Last time i brought it at 142 and it was a fatty mess in my obs and i did not eat it raw anyway. so if i bring it to 138 like others say, is it OK as long as i fry it in a pan and do not eat it raw? And how much fat will my obs ground save? Maybe i would be better trimming it a bit, i did last time and it did not affect the taste fully moist tender and it was still over fat for my taste.
                                                          Frank

What temperature did you smoke/cook at. I generally take mine to around 150°F, with none of the fat rendering. I start at around 110°F, and gradually raise to the temperature, and finish using a cabinet temperature of 160°F. Occassionally I will take them out of the smoker at 137°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Toker

Last time i did some, i smoked at 160 and ended at around 175 until IT of 142. I took your Canadian Bacon recipe and an other as a reference and did it with belly. Maybe the smoke cook temp was to high? Maybe 3 pieces of 4 pounds at a time was to much?

BTW HABS since you joined the conversation, let me personally thank you for the recipes software you know the thing that we use with goldensection reader. Its the most usefull soft that i ever had for my computer so THANK YOU BROTHER!! :D :D

Habanero Smoker

For belly or side bacon, 175°F may be a little high I won't go higher then 160°F, and at that temperature it will definitely extend the time you have it in the smoker. That may be the main reason for the rendering of the fat. Because pork loin is so lean, when you make Canadian bacon you can smoke/cook it at a much higher temperature. When I make belly bacon, I usually smoke 12 pounds (whole slab) at the same time, so I know the Bradley can handle that much bacon, and probably a lot more.

Thanks for the compliment. Without the Bradley members donating their recipes, there would be not recipe site or software to download.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

oakville smoker

Could I smoke a loin without curing it and use it for bacon?
I am thinking a smoke with an IT of 140ish, vac seal in meal size portions and then final cook when its time to eat.  Or is the cure mandatory for bacteria reasons?  Its so difficult finding cure around here that  I have bought several pork loins and simply wound up smoking them for dinner instead of making bacon as was the original intention when I bought the meat.
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

Toker

Me i would be concern about the curing time, if you cure or pickle (cure without curing salt, instacure...)do it less than what you would do with ordinary bacon cause it would conserve itself a lot less and once smoked i would not keep it more than 4 days in the fridge cause of it. But in the freezer i don't see any difference specially if you vac-seal it in little portions but that is just my opinion.

FLBentRider

Quote from: oakville smoker on October 07, 2009, 04:39:43 AM
Could I smoke a loin without curing it and use it for bacon?
I am thinking a smoke with an IT of 140ish, vac seal in meal size portions and then final cook when its time to eat.  Or is the cure mandatory for bacteria reasons?  Its so difficult finding cure around here that  I have bought several pork loins and simply wound up smoking them for dinner instead of making bacon as was the original intention when I bought the meat.

You can do that, but it won't taste like bacon unless you cure it.

The cure is for flavor purposes unless you are cold smoking it.

Smoking the loin @220F until an IT of 140F would be considered hot smoked pork loin, and would taste like smoked roast pork.

You _could_ cure it, then cold smoke it, then a final cook when ready to eat. The cure should keep it safe while cold smoking.

I can't get curing products near me either. I have to purchase online and have it shipped.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!