Question about fat binders

Started by JDNC, October 17, 2009, 07:29:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDNC

I mix ingredients with water prior to mixing with my ground meat when making sausage.  I always mix non-fat dry milk as a binder and use it dry.  My question is..can binders be mixed with water in the other ingredients or should they be mixed in dry?

JD

Tenpoint5

I mix mine in dry When I can so they absorb the natural fats of the meats instead of the other liquids.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Roadking

I use a meat mixer. First goes in the meat and ground up fat. My meat is not ground up with the fat cause I grind meat through a larger grinder and fat through a smaller one. I have the spices permixed with my fluid and put that in and mix well. Then I put in the binder, if it's too dry after mixing I'll add more liquid.

pensrock

QuoteI use a meat mixer. First goes in the meat and ground up fat. My meat is not ground up with the fat cause I grind meat through a larger grinder and fat through a smaller one. I have the spices permixed with my fluid and put that in and mix well. Then I put in the binder, if it's too dry after mixing I'll add more liquid.

I mix by hand, but thats the same way I mix it also.

HawkeyeSmokes

Sounds good Pens. I was just thinking this morning of doing the same thing next time I do a whole turkey breast. Look forward to seeing the finished bird.
HawkeyeSmokes

JDNC

I mix dry also but had never seen it addressed in any material I have read.  Maybe a dumb question, but I was just wondering. ::)