Baked Beans

Started by dbondy, November 05, 2009, 06:27:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbondy

Hey guys thought you might like this recipe, it,s a winner around here. It goes great with any bbq foods.It also freezes great if you have any leftovers.

2-48oz.s cans of beans( I use Heinz deep browned beans with pork&tomato sauce)
   6  tbsp. white vineger
   3/4  cup brown sugar
   3/4  cup of molasses
   3/4  cup of ketsup or fave bbq sauce
   2  large onions( I use spanish not as strong)
   3/4 tsp. cloves
   3/4 tsp. cinammon
   1 1/2 tsp blackpepper
   4 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
   3 tsp. salt
   a few pieces of bacon or other smoked meat.
      Mix all ingredients together in roasting pan and cover. Bake at 425 degrees for 1 hour, check periodically & stir. If beans sticking to much to   side of pan,reduce heat. Reduce heat after one hour to 350 degrees, stir often. Beans are done when mixture is of thick gravy consistency.I also and some liquid smoke and cayenne pepper to taste.
                  Enjoy :)

manxman

That looks great dbondy, I have a very similar recipe I use to make "Cowboy beans" (as my two boys call them) using haricot beans and very similar ingredients including smoked bacon to yours.

You have given me a couple of ideas to tweek my recipe, thanks.  :)
Manxman

OU812

Sounds good, going to give this a try. Thanks for posting

I normally cook my beans in the crock pot over night, but I start out with dried beans and a pound of bacon.

Change is good, been thinking of another way of making baked beans.

dbondy

Hi OU812, I also use the crock pot. But with the canned beans, you have to start in the oven @450 or the sauce will not thicken up.

OU812

Quote from: dbondy on November 05, 2009, 07:00:55 AM
Hi OU812, I also use the crock pot. But with the canned beans, you have to start in the oven @450 or the sauce will not thicken up.

Thanks for the tip. I would have messed it up right from the beginning.

Hopefull Romantic

I love baked beans will try it soon thanks for sharing.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.