• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Portabella Mushrooms

Started by RossP, October 30, 2009, 03:54:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RossP

Last night I was in the office and a member from our church, which happens to be next door comes in with two boxes of Portabella mushrooms asking if I wanted them. Well that was a silly question, I took them and offered my clients some shrooms from one of the boxes while the other one made it to the car. Once home with my prize I had to figure out what to do with 10 lbs. of shrooms at 9pm. Well the wife had the perfect answer, clean them, slice them and put them in the dehydrator.

Part of  box of Shrooms 

Starting to load the dehydrator

what 10 lbs of shrooms looks like dried.

We did save a few for dinner tonight, the wife made a pot of homemade mushroom soup this morning and put it in the crook pot to cook while we are at work.  I can hardly wait to get home for some good soup.

I did want to try and smoke a few but that will have to wait until the next batch comes through. This is the second time we have received mushrooms from this person, they have a mushroom farm and give there overload to other church members. I think yesterday they gave away a couple hundred pounds of Portabellas. Has anyone smoked Portabellas?

Ross
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

Ka Honu

I cold-smoked a couple a while back and used them for portabella pizza (use the mushroom instead of crust).  Came out great.

Quarlow

I can't remember who, but someone stuffed some with I think cream cheese and bacon and then smoked them. ...Hang on I might be mixing up posts here..... but someone will chime in.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

FLBentRider

Nice Score Ross!

We make portabella pizzas every now and then.

Ka Honu - How long did you smoke them ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Ka Honu

Quote from: FLBentRider on October 30, 2009, 04:26:52 PMKa Honu - How long did you smoke them ?

I'm not sure exactly but as I recall I did them along with some steaks so it was probably about 40 minutes.

Hopefull Romantic

Every body is getting freebies these days. Has Nepas started some thing here.  :D :D

Great shrooms there RossP.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

seemore

Hi, Ross!  Mrs here.....
Seemore and I smoked some portabellas about a year ago.
We stuffed them with smoked, pulled pork (with a little homemade BBQ sauce) topped with sliced jalapenos and cheese.
We smoked them for some time, and they were AWESOME!
Let me put my thinking cap on and see if I can find the post - we had pictures of them too.

seemore

Ross - I found the recipe that we did for the portabella caps.  It was dated 12/15/08, if you wanted to look at the pictures.  For some reason they did not copy over.  Of course, I am technologically challenged, too..........

614   Recipe Discussions / Recipes in development / Stuffed, Smoked Portabella Mushrooms  on: December 15, 2008, 06:20:36 pm 
Mr. Seemore came up with this idea yesterday:

We cleaned two portabella mushroom caps and brushed them with olive oil.  We put crumbled Gorgonzola cheese in the bottom, and then filled the caps with smoked, pulled pork.  We then put thinly sliced jalapenos on top of that, and then put sliced cheddar cheese on top of that.  We put in the smoker for about two hours at 180 with mesquite, the unspeakable wood .  It was very cold here, so the temp on the smoker did not get any higher.  Here is how it looked:

It was very, very good!   
Reply Quote Notify 

RossP

Those look yummy ;D I will give those a try with the next batch
of Shrooms we get. Made out of everything that I like, pulled
pork, cheese jalepenos and mushrooms, life is good.
Thanks for looking it up for me.

Ross
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

Slamdunk

Ross, you've really got me going on Portobellas!

Here is another method for smoking them which I got off of this site...

http://www.smoker-cooking.com/sitemap-3.html

Smoky Portobella Mushrooms

Portobella Preparation
Wipe off any visible dirt from the surface of the mushrooms. Remove the stems, then scrape out the gills with a spoon. Now, give the shrooms a quick rinse under cold water, and pat them dry with a paper towel. Combine two tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce with two tablespoons of melted butter. Coat the portobello mushrooms with the mixture, then lightly season with garlic powder, salt, and pepper.

Get your smoker up to 225-250 degrees Fahrenheit and get some wood to smoking. Portabello mushrooms have a delicate flavor, that can easily be overpowered by the flavor of smoke. A light flavored smoke wood, like apple or alder works well...just use a small amount.

Place the portobellas into the smoker, gill side down. Brush the tops again with the butter mixture, and let the mushrooms smoke for one to one and one-half hours. They look slightly shriveled and have collapsed when done.

Give them one more brush of butter before you take them out of the smoker, and serve them immediately. Smoky portobella mushrooms are great eaten like a steak, or in a sandwich, made with good sourdough bread and swiss cheese.