Cure Box question....

Started by georgeamer, November 04, 2009, 07:52:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

georgeamer

I want to use a small "freezer less" refrigerator or possibly a wine cooler as a cure box.
On all the units I've looked at the specs say that the units have a dehumidifier.
If that is so, how does it work? Will an added humidifier to these units be able to maintain a 72% humidity?
Thanks in advance for the info....
George

muzzletim

Hi,

I have a 60 bottle wine cooler that I have tried to use as a cure box! I put a small humidier in the bottom and was able to get plenty of humidity! Probably to much as I did not have a control to sense the level of humidity! It worked well in the beginning. At about 2 weeks my Spanish Chorizo developed some real nasty odor and very green mold. I had to dispose of it. I was trying to make dried sausage.

I am going to attempt again when I purchase a humidier control that will monitor the level. In New Mexico the humidity typically is around 20 % so it is just to dry without help to make dried sausage.

The size is nice and it has glass doors so you can see what is going on!
Tim

Caneyscud

George, among other sites, Len Poli's Sausage Site discusses curing, and drying sausages.  I like his recommendations on what type of unit to use to build a curing cabinet.  Here is the link to the humidity control page of his site.  Be sure to look at his recipes and tips - lots of great info.

http://lpoli.50webs.com/Tips.htm#Humidity%20Control

When you get to the page, click on the link on the page titled "Creating An Ideal Environment For Dry Curing Sausage. "  It takes you to some more information about building a curing cabinet. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

georgeamer

Wow......that is some write up....covers the whole process!

Caneyscud

And it is surprising how little you can purchase a working freezer for on Craigslist.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

muzzletim

Tim