• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Cold Room Solutions

Started by oakville smoker, November 09, 2009, 01:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakville smoker

I am getting closer to scratching my itch, sausage making.
I tend to plan, plan, plan.

I have figured out once I make sausage and some salami for sure that I will need a place to store them
I don't have a cold room.  The crawl space under the front stair might be a good place but its not very cold
I would have to punch a hole in the wall or something and that seems extreme
What if I dont like this after all .......
I was conemplating an insulated box in the garage but when summer returns here, that will not work

There are some pretty creaotive and smart people hanging around here.  Any ideas ???????
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

OU812

I have been thinking and thinking and thinking of makeing some fermented sausage and the thought of a wine cooler is what I was thinking, with a small humidifier and a light bulb in the bottom. The only problem is finding a small enough humidifier. The glass door on the wine cooler would be a good way to check on things without opening the door.

Habanero Smoker

I'm getting real close to starting my first batches. I was hoping by the end of the week, there may be some delays, but I still may make that deadline. I've plan on 5 lbs. Spanish Chorizo, 5 lbs. Beef Pepperoni, 5 lbs. Salami (haven't decided on which style) and 3 lbs. of Bresaola (dried beef). The Bresaola was started yesterday, and needs to cure for 14 days prior to air drying.

oakville smoker;

About a year and a half ago (probably closer to 2) when I started thinking about air drying and fermenting sausage, I came across this site Big Bertha, and gave this some serious thought. That site may give you some ideas for a Cool Room.

OU812,

Do a search for portable humidifiers for travelers. They are pretty small, also in the past week I seen some small ones on line. I couldn't steer you to them, because I wasn't interested in the. The glass door may present some problems for you, total darkness is better to ferment and dry your sausage. So try to keep it out of direct light. I've also seen pet foggers, that keep reptile cages humid. I haven't taken a close look at them, but they are small. If they use warm mist, then forget about them.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

OU812

Thanks Habs, never thought about portable humidifiers. As far as the glass door I was thinking of putting the cooler in a closet, just thought I could peek every now and then with out opening the door.

I would be very interested on how your fermented sausage comes out.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: OU812 on November 09, 2009, 02:14:55 PM
Thanks Habs, never thought about portable humidifiers. As far as the glass door I was thinking of putting the cooler in a closet, just thought I could peek every now and then with out opening the door.

I would be very interested on how your fermented sausage comes out.

I'll try to post a few pictures latter on. I plan to post a full write up on the recipe site.

I can't recall the name of the portable humidifier I came across. I found it on Overstock.com while on the site I did a search for humidifiers. If that is the one you are going to purchase don't buy it from that site. Copy the make and model number then go to Amazon.com and do a search on their site; it's much cheaper.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)