• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Cheese today and strip's tomorrow

Started by rdav01, November 12, 2009, 12:57:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdav01

before after kinda hard to tell but it does have a darker color

And for tomorrow these babies will be cut into decent strip's and marinated for 1 week then into the bradley for smoking

I will show some pics after there cut up  :-*

squirtthecat

Cheese looks good!

That's quite a long marinade time...    What's in your marinade?

rdav01

Quote from: squirtthecat on November 12, 2009, 01:08:15 PM

Cheese looks good!

That's quite a long marinade time...    What's in your marinade?

My wife does the marinade for it, its a Bosnian thing I'll have to watch her and see what she puts in it...before i bought the Bradley we had a 6x6 metal shed that we smoked in, there would be atleast 50-60 strips of beef in there hanging and she would make a small fire then let it smolder with the smoke for the beef which usually took 3-4 days I know it sounds long but of course the smoke wasn't applied all that time she would start the smoke once a day believe me it turns out great now with the Bradley that will change it should be done in allot shorter time frame.

squirtthecat

Quote from: rdav01 on November 12, 2009, 01:16:57 PM
My wife does the marinade for it, its a Bosnian thing I'll have to watch her and see what she puts in it...before i bought the Bradley we had a 6x6 metal shed that we smoked in, there would be atleast 50-60 strips of beef in there hanging and she would make a small fire then let it smolder with the smoke for the beef which usually took 3-4 days I know it sounds long but of course the smoke wasn't applied all that time she would start the smoke once a day believe me it turns out great now with the Bradley that will change it should be done in allot shorter time frame.

Cool!  Yes, let us know what all goes in it. (if she doesn't mind sharing the process)

OU812

rdav01

That way of smoking is kinda the way we use to do it when I was a little man. Talk about old school, but man was it good. Would like to see how the strips work in the Bradley. The cheese looks good too, remember to wait at least 10 days before digging in to them.

rdav01

Quote from: OU812 on November 12, 2009, 03:22:47 PM
rdav01

That way of smoking is kinda the way we use to do it when I was a little man. Talk about old school, but man was it good. Would like to see how the strips work in the Bradley. The cheese looks good too, remember to wait at least 10 days before digging in to them.

Oh yeah there vac sealed and out of site  ;) will keep ya updated on the strips

ArnieM

Cheese - In my vast experience of smoking cheese (twice) I found that smoking at a higher temp of 85-90 puts more color on the cheese.  IIRC, I used apple.  The batch cold-smoked with the cardboard box/SG combination ran at about 60-65.  It didn't have as much color but was really nice.

Beef - Yeah, I'd like to know about the 'marinade' too.  It sounds more like a cure for that length of time.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

classicrockgriller

rdav, keep us posted. This is very interesting with the week long marinade.

Hopefull Romantic

Yes rdav01 dont you be holding out any old country recipe on us. We all would like to try what is out there.

Good luck

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

seemore

Give it up!!   Inquiring minds want to know!!!

Mrs.

rdav01

OK my apology I thought it was a marinade here are the pic's for it:

Basically my wife said this is how its done over there Salt(kosher) is the key ingredient then she uses fresh garlic(1 whole bulb), pepper and pepper flakes she doesn't measure them out she said add to your tasting,  after 3-4 days she checks it by cutting a small piece then fry's it in a skillet if the salt flavor is still there no salt needs added if the salt taste is weak she adds more salt to the batch and its sit's in a bucket the remainder of the 7 day's(keep in cool place). Im sure most prob know how to do this I just never watched her do it before I figured if it was in that bucket it was a marinade in there was my mistake...

Tenpoint5

Bucket? That looks like the lid off a 30 gallon garbage can!! How big of a batch does she do???? ;D
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

rdav01

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on November 15, 2009, 11:41:03 AM
Bucket? That looks like the lid off a 30 gallon garbage can!! How big of a batch does she do???? ;D

lol actually it is  ::)
it was 3 of those cut up about 25-27 strips if i recall we use the same can normally it would be half full when we use to smoke in the metal shed

pensrock

QuoteCheese - In my vast experience of smoking cheese (twice) I found that smoking at a higher temp of 85-90 puts more color on the cheese.
You are correct sir. I like to keep my temps 70-90F if possible.