Turkey Summer Sausage

Started by Father Tom, November 13, 2009, 11:57:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Father Tom

:-\Anyone out there have a recipe for Turkey Sausage???  With Turkey day only a few weeks away and prices down to $5.00 per bird its time to fire up the Bradley.  I have found recipes for regular sausage but not "Summer Sausage".  Need Help!!!!

Father Tom

classicrockgriller

You only pay $5 for a Turkey? Heck of a deal!

Father Tom

Hi Classicrockgriller....  Yes for the next 2 weeks Safeway, City Market, and a few others are advertising Turkeys for $5.00 up to 15#.  Butter Ball is $8.00 up to 15#.  Its the time of the year to stock up on the frozen ones probably last years but what the heck,  It all taste great if cooked correctly.  (smoked)  I am thinking of using the Beef Summer Sausage recipe for the turkey one if i cannot find someone who had done it.

FT

classicrockgriller

I'm betting nepas has. He'll probably see this soon.

Tenpoint5

It ain't Summer Sausage but:

Turkey Jalapeno Chorizo

5 lbs boned turkey meat, both dark and light, including skin
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon medium ground black pepper
3 tablespoons commercial chili powder
1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
6 cloves finely chopped fresh garlic
1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
2 medium sized jalapeno peppers, chopped, seeds removed
1 cup cold dry red wine

1. Cut the meat and skin into small pieces, then grind it through the coarse plate on your meat grinder.
2. Mix the wine, spices and herbs into the ground sausage meat.
3. Grind the sausage mixture once again, this time using the medium plate on your meat grinder.
4. Stuff immediately into casings or package in bulk portions.

Store the finished sausage in the refrigerator for up to three days or package and freeze for up to 3 months.
If you object to using wine in your sausage, you can replace it with 3/4 cup chicken or turkey broth and 1/4 cup cider vinegar.

You can stuff into 32mm natural casings or form into patties, it tastes better after it has had a chance to rest in the refrigerator for 8 to 12 hours. NOTE: This is not smoked. Make it like fresh chorizo.

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!