• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoked duck and andoui gumbo

Started by ronbeaux, November 13, 2009, 11:42:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronbeaux

It became officially gumbo season down here when the temp this morning was 44. Sooooo. I had the wild duck and the andoui and it became gumbo time.

First up grab the big enameled cast iron pot and brown the sausage.

Then smoke some duck breasts for about 30 minutes with some hickory and no heat.

Then brown the duck

Of course then comes the roux. Nice and dark.

Combine the trinity, the sausage, the duck and let it all sweat out in the heat.

Pour in your chicken stock and simmer for a few hours then EAT!

The little extra smoke flavor from the duck really kicked up the taste and the Bradley made it easy!
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

westexasmoker

Thats some good looking gumbo there Ron!  I'm ready for some of the cold weather to get here, for all of those cold weather dishes!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

classicrockgriller

Man that looks good ron. Nice pics again.

KyNola

Dang Ron,
That looks awesome.  I am definitely going to be giving that a try.  A buddy of mine just reminded me he has a freezer full duck breasts he wants to give me.

YES!!!

KyNola

Ka Honu

Looks good (and pretty close to the way I make it).  I've never made it with duck (cost prohibitive here) but have used smoked chicken thighs and they do add a nice taste.  Also, I make a darker roux (chocolate) and usually throw some Tasso in with the Andouille, but it's all a matter of taste at that point.  That's what I love about gumbo - start with the basics (Andoulle, roux, trinity) and it's a little different every time (depending on what's in the cupboard) but always an excellent choice.

Damn, now I'm ready to make a pot but have to wait till next month; I only have enough Andouille to make one pot of gumbo and one other dish a month between my annual resupply trips to New Orleans.  I know I could get into sausage making but mine wouldn't be as good as Wayne Jacobs' or Cochon's and the self-imposed rationing system keeps me from getting too nuts and never cooking anything else.

Tenpoint5

That look's really GOOD Ron!!!! Just wish I could sneak it past the wife an kiddies. I only have two of them five converted to semi spicy foods but I am working on that.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ronbeaux

Now come on 10.5, there was NO pepper other than a pinch of black pepper thrown in for good measure added to this gumbo. The andoulle was a mild type and very meaty. Mrs RB grew up here and she don't do spicy so I kept it mild for her.

Ka Honu, you are correct. There are only three things common to gumbo.

1. roux
2. trinity
3. beer

Andoulle is also an option. Smoked sausage also works well. Then when you venture off into seafood gumbo the list grows even longer. You just have to know when to throw something in there so it will come out good. AND, be careful not to turn it into court bouillon.
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

Brad Stab

You can tune a piano, but you can't tune a fish.

Pachanga

Ron,

Nice gumbo.  You are in duck and goose paradise.  I hunt down in Iowa, LA.  Duck and Goose gumbo is some good eats.

Tenpoint,

I've got your same problem; a bunch of tender mouths.  I a make a batch and divide it before finishing and fire one side up a little.  I serve New Mexico roasted hot chiles on the side and of course Tabasco and file'.

Thanks Ron,

Pachanga

Tenpoint5

That was just me a wishing for a nice spicy dish. I might give it a whirl the two that don't mind spicy looked and said yum you gonna make that Dad?
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Hopefull Romantic

Ron that is really a nice looking dish and I bet it tasted even better.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Ka Honu

Ron - I usually put the beer in me and use wine for the gumbo (a la Justin Wilson) but am adaptable.  I think our only disagreement may be in defining "gumbo season."  I "celebrate" gumbo season whenever I have the key ingredients available (usually once a month year-round).