• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Thanksgiving is arriving early ....

Started by outdoorsfellar, November 19, 2009, 10:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

outdoorsfellar

This comming Sunday, my wife is having the kids over for a early Thanksgiving since I have to work alllllll day on the actual turkey day & the kids will be at their in laws just the same. My wife bought two birds ... one for the trash can method that I did at deer camp & the other is a 12 pounder that she wants me to smoke. Both birds are being brined now .... something she picked up from a co worker. Anyway, I plan on smoking for 4 hrs. She thinks I can do the bird in the smoker for the entire cooking, but I'm not thrilled to think on how the skin will turn out. I've read here that some will put the bird in the oven after the smoking period to crisp up the skin ... or just finish cooking as well, but I don't know, since I've never smoked a bird yet. I'm thinking that the IT on the finished product is going to be @ 170. Therefore, if that is correct, what calculation can be handed my way to figure on what OBS temp inside should be for those 1st 4 hours & at what IT the bird will be at that ending time & deducting on how much longer the bird should be in the kitchen ( IF IT REALLY NEEDS TO BE ) oven for the remainder ? She has this idea that the bird can be cooked entirely in the smoker & the skin will be ok ..... I think she's crazy. Still, since I've never done this, it'll certainly be a learning expierience &  I'm just wanting to know what to expect for this size of bird.    Thanks !

classicrockgriller

That bird in the trash can is gonna be a big hit. That is kewl.

A smoked bird also is going to be great, but the skin probably not crisp in the Bradley.

I would consider some time in oven even just to broil to crispen skin.

Hopefull Romantic

I loved your trash can way at camp and I will, one day, have to try it.

I am with you and CRG on finishing the bird in the oven, although I have read a couple posts about people being successful in finishing up chicken in the Bradley with crispy skin. Granted that was chicken and I dont know if that would make a diference, but they smoked / cooked at 250.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Habanero Smoker

I can't help you with times, that are just too many variables.

The skin does get rubbery in the smoker, because the fat underneath the skin just renders out and the smoker does not get hot enough so that the fat can crisp the skin. It is also very important to keep the vent fully open to let moisture escape and improve your temperature readings. If you are going to smoke the whole time in the smoker somethings I've found that help a little are after the bird has been seasoned apply a light coat of oil and dust very lightly with cornstarch. This also greatly improves the skin if you decide to crisp it up in the oven or gas grill.

With the OBS try to smoke/cook at the highest temperature you can get the smoker to; 250°F would be ideal, but it will take the smoker a while to recover and the cabinet will probably be at 225°F for the great majority of time. As for the IT I generally shoot for a final temperature of 165°F measured in the thickest part of the thigh. Take it out of the smoker 3°F - 5°F before it reaches 165°F. The carryover should bring it 165° or higher. If I were to finish in a 375°F preheated oven, I will take it out of the smoker at 150°F, roast it until it hit 158°F - 160°F. Of it you want to go to 170°F adjust the temperature accordingly.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

outdoorsfellar

Thanks for the replies ! They're very helpful.

I must also add that it only makes sense that since the OBS is going to be plugged in, I might as well start the day off by doing a batch of ABTs beforehand  ;D ;D