• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

manxman --Food Hygiene and Food Poisoning

Started by Oldman, March 09, 2005, 12:33:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

Hey all just to let you know, manxman has jump on board as a Bradley member for the recipe site. His first topic will be Food Hygiene and Food Poisoning.

manxman, I'm sure I speak for the this group and the team when I say thank you for this effort.  This is a very tough subject and I'm really glad you are taking this on! In fact I'm down-right-proud-of-it! [^]

Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

BigSmoker

Two cheers for manxman.  Thanks for your effort[:D][8D]

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

JJC

John
Newton MA

Kummok

Manxman....ThanX for making the saying, "<i>Food to Die For</i>", <font size="3"> <font color="purple"> NOT </font id="purple"> </font id="size3"> become a reality for us gastronomic adventurers and masticating marvels!![:p][:D][8D]

35 years of extinguishing smoking stuff and now I'm wondering WHY!
Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

Chez Bubba

Thanx, manx![8D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

manxman

Hi Folks,

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
Oldman: His first topic will be Food Hygiene and Food Poisoning. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Mmmm..... nearly missed the "first topic" reference, what do you know that I don't Olds!!!!???? [}:)][:D]

Glad to be of some help, it will take a bit of time to research as I obviously want to make sure the information posted is as accurate as possible!

One of the Microbiologists at work has offered some help with research and proof reading which will be a great help.[:)][:)]

Manxman.
Manxman

manxman

I should have added that if anyone has any ideas, information that they feel should be included or suggestions feel free to email me... as always several heads are better than one!![:D][:D][:D]

One thing I won't be covering is Food Hygiene and Food Poisoning from a commercial aspect apart from maybe appropriate generic advice, it will just be from a smoking for fun point of view! [:D]

Manxman.
Manxman

Kummok

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by manxman</i>
<br />I should have added that if anyone has any ideas, information that they feel should be included or suggestions feel free to email me... as always several heads are better than one!![:D][:D][:D].....<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Manxman:
Check out the free .pdf publication from the U of Alaska-Fairbanks Extension Service on smoking salmon.....considerable info on parasite/microbial content/control in processing and smoking salmon.
www.uaf.edu/coop-ext/publications/freepubs/FNH-00325.pdf

Also check out this site: http://www.sfos.uaf.edu/directory/faculty/himelbloom/ Dr. Himelbloom is DEFINITELY familiar with microbiology of Alaskan seafood. As Associate Professor at UAF, he's one you'd likely want on your list of resources as a contact for any question about "dinky bugs"[8D]

35 years of extinguishing smoking stuff and now I'm wondering WHY!
Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

manxman

Thanks Kummock,

The first site is really useful for anyone smoking fish at home and the second one will be helpful with my background reading, I have already got a fair bit of information sorted.

I had planned to mention parasites, viruses, fungus, tapeworms and nematodes along with bacteria but I don't want to make the article too long or too serious, although it is obviously a serious subject!

The last thing I want to do is bore people or scare the holy **it out of them!!!!! [:D][:D][:D][:D]

Manxman.
Manxman

manxman

Just doing a bit of background reading with regards to Food Hygiene and Food Poisoning, an interesting point from the US Centres (sorry Centers!) for Disease Control and Prevention states that 97% of all cases of food poisoning result from improper food handling, the ratio of occurences in restaurants and institutions to home preparation is 4:1 and the most common causes are:

1. Leaving food at temperatures that allow bacterial growth.
2. inadequate cooking or reheating.
3. cross contamination.
4. infection in the food handler.

Bit of "food for thought"!!

Manxman.
Manxman

humpa

Manx......I think that I can not only speak for myself, but for this forum in general. We do appreciate any contributions from our members. Knowlege opens many doors and I still have millions to open myself. I'll be looking forward to read the results. Thanks for everything!!!!

Ernie....Weymouth, MA

manxman

Thanks for the support folks, I have done a fair bit of research and have started to write it up.

Watch this space! [:D][:D][:D]

Manxman.
Manxman

Crazy Canuck

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">he's one you'd likely want on your list of resources as a contact for any question about <font color="pink">"dinky bugs"</font id="pink"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Kummock I'm not sure what you have been doing to your meat[?]

Sorry guys thought we talking about contaminated food not contaminating food.

Just a little humor while I learn.[:D][:D][:D]

Addicted to Smokin'[:p][:p][:p]
DanR
Fort St.John BC