• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First time smoking a Pork butt.

Started by flaxxon, November 12, 2009, 11:25:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flaxxon

I got a 8.5lb pork butt in a brine as we speak.  I was wondering what you guys would recommend for a dry rub and a mop if needed.  I plan on using a combination of apple and cherry wood for the smoke.  I was thinking of using either apple juice or a apple vinegar.  Looking at around a 12 hour smoke. 

classicrockgriller

flaxxon, welcome to the forum.

I've never brined a butt, but I have rubbed a butt, and slathered a butt.

So if this is your first, use something you like, then you can experiment.

classicrockgriller

Dry rub: Use something u like and have tried

Mop: spritz with apple juice if you think it is neccessary

apple and cherry are not what I would use for a butt

use apple juice

12 hrs is a good plan .... but it is not done till your IT says so

I like to take my butts to 200 IT

and I smoke/cook on 220 ...so it will take a while

It is not done till the thermo says so.

Quarlow

Ok I haven't done one , butt I have seen a bunch on here. Now I could be wrong but better to raise the question and be wrong than not raise it and have you with a bad butt. I know CRG can answer this, I don't think you smoke for that long. Cook yes but somewhere around 3 to 5 hours of smoke. Someone will correct me if wrong.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Habanero Smoker

Hi Flaxxon;

Welcome to the forum.

There are many rubs out there, but this one is my favorite:

The Renowned Mr. Brown Barbecued Pork Butt, aka Memphis Rub
Smoke & Spice, by Cheryl and Bill Jamison.

Ingredients:

1/4 cup Black Pepper, fresh cracked
1/4 cup Paprika
1 /4 cup Turbinado Sugar or Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp. Salt, Kosher
2 tsp. Mustard, dry
1 tsp. Cayenne pepper

Also there are more rubs on the recipe site.

Rubs

Oink'r Rub (a.k.a. Alaskan Butt Blast); seems to be a favorite among members.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Hopefull Romantic

I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Wildcat

My favorite rub is the Oinker Rub that Habs provided a link to. I also like to use apple wood and sometimes spritz with apple juice. I prefer to cook at 205 box temp or less until meat is about 180 to 190. I apply smoke for 4 hours.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

flaxxon

Thanks for the help I'll try to post a couple of pics of the final product.

KyNola

Flaxxon,
My friends have all given you great advice.  Here's what I do.  The day before the smoke, I paint the butt with cheap yellow mustard or rub with oil and apply the rub of choice, wrap in plastic wrap and overnight in the frig.  Day of smoke, remove butt from frig at least two hours before the show begins to allow it to warm up some.  Preheat your smoker and when it reaches around 270 or so putt your butt in the smoker.  The heat is going to drop like a rock and recovery will be lengthy because you have 8 pounds of cold pork in there.   As the heat recovers, apply 4 hours of your favorite smoke.  When the heat comes back into the 200-225 range adjust your Bradley so the temp stays in that range.  After the smoke period is finished you can do one of two things, continue to cook in the Bradley or you can move the butt to your house oven set at 225 to complete the cooking process.  Some will wrap in foil, some leave it open.  Take the IT to the 190-200 range and presto, best pulled pork you will ever eat.  Don't be concerned when the IT stalls somewhere around 160 for several hours.  That's exactly what you want it to do.  Don't bump up the heat to try to make the IT rise again.  That stall is when the magic really starts to happen.

KyNola

Stilly

Anongicy73

WOW, you really made that brief how long ago was that?