• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

I'm not happy with my ribs ....

Started by outdoorsfellar, December 10, 2009, 09:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadking

Quote from: outdoorsfellar on December 11, 2009, 10:03:37 AM
I use a PID with my OBS. When I boated the ribs, I did pour onto the meat as well a bit. Is that  a no no ? Also, I didn't seal the foil completely, though it was covered pretty good. Other than that, I pretty much followed the 10.5 method to a tee.

You can get the meat wet but more of the rub stays on the ribs if you don't.
I actually started not boating and found the ribs to come out alot better (better tasting) than boating. The boating is kind of cheating to get the job done faster. Might as well steam them from the start and through sauce on them.

Last racks I did I got the ribs rub the night before and took them out of the frig around 6 am. Cranked up the Bradley and put the ribs in around 8:30 am with 2 hours of hickory. Did not open the door until 1 pm for a look, they were finished at 3:30 pm. Did a sauce and we were eating around 4:10.

KyNola

There is yet one other possibility.  You may have gotten hold of a tough pig.  Some butts will finish quicker than others.  The same goes for ribs.  These ribs may just have been tougher than others and would have taken longer.

Sometimes it's got nothing to do with you and has everything to do with the pig.

KyNola

Pachanga

KyNola

QuoteSometimes it's got nothing to do with you and has everything to do with the pig.

That's what my wife's friends say to my wife about me.

Good luck and I think I'll go lay in the mud.

Pachanga

Roadking

Quote from: KyNola on December 11, 2009, 12:40:23 PM
There is yet one other possibility.  You may have gotten hold of a tough pig.  Some butts will finish quicker than others.  The same goes for ribs.  These ribs may just have been tougher than others and would have taken longer.

Sometimes it's got nothing to do with you and has everything to do with the pig.

KyNola

Absolutely correct. I usually start looking for the 1/4" or so draw back on the bone. Then it's the pinch test for me, reach in and try to see if the meat will come off of the bone somewhat easy (that's the way the wife likes it). Got to please my wife, me on the other hand , I'll cook a brick with sauce on it and like it.

Quarlow

Quote from: Roadking on December 11, 2009, 01:19:02 PM
Quote from: KyNola on December 11, 2009, 12:40:23 PM
There is yet one other possibility.  You may have gotten hold of a tough pig.  Some butts will finish quicker than others.  The same goes for ribs.  These ribs may just have been tougher than others and would have taken longer.

KyNola

Absolutely correct. I usually start looking for the 1/4" or so draw back on the bone. Then it's the pinch test for me, reach in and try to see if the meat will come off of the bone somewhat easy (that's the way the wife likes it). Got to please my wife, me on the other hand , I'll cook a brick with sauce on it and like it.

I'll bet you have one in there right now don't ya?
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Tenpoint5

Like I said in the very beginning of my post cooking ribs is like combing your hair everyone does it different. There is a lot of good advice coming in here from the masters. The one thing I did pick up on was that when you boated you didn't seal the foil. Which allowed for the AJ to evaporate and leave the area. Instead of steaming and making the ribs juicy. Also Just out of curiosity did you pull the membrane off the back of the ribs? I have forgotten to do this when I was in a hurry or chasing kids around when getting ribs ready and had the same results. Have also had the same results letting a hole get in the foil and the juice leaking out. Which was no problem the ribs just needed more time in the smoker to finish up. So my guess or suggestion would have been to add more time to the ribs and let them finish doing their thing. Also The times I suggested 3-2-1 were for cooking at 225* instead of the 220* you said that yu cooked yours at.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Roadking

Quote from: Quarlow on December 11, 2009, 03:44:40 PM
Quote from: Roadking on December 11, 2009, 01:19:02 PM

I'll bet you have one in there right now don't ya?

The brick, no they're all gone. By-the-Way, do you know how to cook a Sea Gull?  Put it in a pot with boiling water and a brick. When you can pierce the brick with a fork, the Sea Gull is done... :o

Quarlow

I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.