• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Heat Plate as Energy Source in DBS

Started by oakville smoker, December 07, 2009, 04:39:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakville smoker

I have been reading Rytek's book and he talks about using a heat plate as an energy source in a smoker.
I am wondering if I could do this with my DBS?
The idea of an office jockey cutting holes in an appliance and adding extra infra reds, well let just say these hands were made
for pounding laptops and telephone dial pads and not destroying ( I mean modifying ) small appliances.

This could be a quick fix for the cold temps that are coming soon here.

BTW....  I did fire my DBS on Saturday night, tower temp at start was 34 degreesn wind.  Took about an hour to get to 220.
So not all bad.  But this could help with both cold temps and recovery.
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

squirtthecat

There was an old post where someone used a water heater element (one you would see in a farm application to keep a livestock water tank ice free) for additional heat in their OBS.   And yes, it required some major surgery.  :o

FLBentRider

There was a post a while back about adding a second element.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=910#post910

I would say that a PID control would be a requirement, you don't want those elements running away and causing a issue that would possibly involve the local fire department.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

oakville smoker

I thought I would ask the question and see what the experts thought
Seemed a little risky to me
Any kind of surgery on my DBS makes me very nervous.  I don't think I am qualified for that
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?