• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

circulation fan is installed

Started by Fair-chase, December 02, 2009, 06:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fair-chase

Well I finally installed the Grainger motor and fans today. I installed it to run Cw as several others have done. I placed the fans on the shaft with the hub and set screw toward the motor. I hope this is the right way.

I haven't put the shroud over the top of the fan yet. I see the logic here , but is running the fan without the shroud  that big of an issue ?  Has anyone tried it without the shroud ?

Mr Walleye

Fair-chase

The fan can go on either way with the same results. I can't remember how I installed the fan on outside but the one in the tower I have the hub/set screw towards the front of the cabinet. I did this simply because it was easier to get at to tighten.

I'm not sure what to tell you regarding the shroud. When I first installed mine it was running CCW and I wasn't satisfied with that. When I switched it to CW I installed the shroud at the same time to keep the air flow off anything that was on the lowest rack.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Fair-chase

Mr. Walleye:

I just put the fan on the motor with hub facing each direction and plugged it in. It definatly seemed to move more air with the set screw toward the motor .

I think the shroud you designed is a good thought. Just wondering if it's really needed before I make one?

Mr Walleye

You could certainly try it without the shroud, ya never know maybe it will be fine without it. If not, it's simple enough to add it afterwards anyway.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

OU812

My thoughts on the shroud was to keep the moving air off anything on the bottom rack. Dont know if it helps or not but sure sounds good.

Fair-chase

I don't know if the slight current of hot air would really hurt anything or not. I usuall try not to use the bottom rack anyways unless it's inverted.

Oldman

QuoteI just put the fan on the motor with hub facing each direction and plugged it in. It definatly seemed to move more air with the set screw toward the motor .
This is correct. This is how the fan blade and CW motor work.

QuoteI think the shroud you designed is a good thought. Just wondering if it's really needed before I make one?[/
Yes...without a doubt you need to direct the hot air towards the door. That fan blade is a 45 degree air mover, and it will overly cook one area on the bottom item if not defused.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!