What a Crock (of Dove)

Started by KevinG, December 12, 2009, 01:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevinG

Started digging around in my freezer and found some left over dove from last season. Decided to have some dove for din din.

Started by soaking the dove in a salt water and lemon juice brine overnight.

Got some fixins for the next task, BBQ sauce, wine, celery, garlic, onion, and carrot.

1 cup of wine, 1 cup of BBQ sauce, 2 cups of water & did some choppin and placed it all in the crock pot.

Got my left over rice, peas and carrots from yesterday, and whamo  - crock pot dove is done!

Good stuff, do this every year, usually I make enough for my friends, but being everyones out Christmas shopping, looks like I'll be eating alone.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

ronbeaux

The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

seemore

I have never tried dove.  Is it gamey?  Or is it the cliche "tastes like chicken"?
Mrs

Caneyscud

Don't forget to do it in the crockpot with a creamy sauce also.  Some say to use cream of mushroom soup - but I prefer real cream and add what I want!

Mrs. C'more - Some where between chicken and gamey.  Definitely not chicken, but nowhere close to duck in "gaminess". 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

classicrockgriller

Use to dove hunt when I was younger and lived at home (410 bolt action) and mom always made a gumbo with the dove. was good eats.

KevinG

Quote from: seemore on December 15, 2009, 08:17:26 AM
I have never tried dove.  Is it gamey?  Or is it the cliche "tastes like chicken"?
Mrs

It can be gamey depending on how you prepare it. This way it was excellent. No gamey flavor at all. Had plenty of picky people over and only 1 out of 10 said it tasted gamey. (Now I feel like a gum commercial). Doesn't really taste like chicken either. It has its own original flavor, I think because it's more of a darker meat than most other birds like quail, chicken and turkey. I like it far better than chicken.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG