• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

not enough heat !!!!

Started by headgames, March 19, 2005, 08:21:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

headgames

<font size="3"></font id="size3"><font size="3"></font id="size3"><font color="purple"></font id="purple">
&lt;&lt; Wisconsin here 30 degrees farenheight  no wind  ,.   first time smoking with my new bradly .  its saturday and bradley hotline is closed .  I have 6 Pheasants in the smoker .......  it is smoking very well ...  the temp adj is all the way to high ..  and after 2 1/2
hours the most temp i get is 160 degrees .....what is the problem . is it a warm weather smoker ??  i have the damper close to closed....  would hate to have to shove them in the oven to finish them to my safe temp of 170 degrees ..  HELP ! [:(]   any  suggestions ???

If ya go home hungry.........You were at the WRONG HOUSE !
If ya go home hungry ........ You were at the wrong House!!

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

a few things, are you using a extension cord?  if so you need a heavy duty one  and if you can try to plug the bradley right into the wall., do you have another way to check the temp? if the meat is to close to the temp probe on the door your temp will read colder. the temp gage on the bradley is sometimes read 20 deg off, try to open the vent aleast a 1/4 open, put your habd over the vent and try to feel the heat coming out, dont BURN your self, also were the birds cold ? right from the fridge to the bradley? if so it will take some time for the heat to come up. DONT OPEN THE DOOR. ans welcome to the forum!!!!!!!!!![:)]

jaeger

headgames,
I just got off work, so this may be to late but when I want to finish something, I close the damper all the way. Temp will climb fast!
Let us know how the pheasant turned out. What prep did you do? etc...

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

gotbbq

Headgames-

Rob is on target.  For what it is worth, I had the same problem and same questions after my first smokes, wondering if it was for warm weather only.  After a few smokes, letting food get to room temp before putting in, not having meat against the thermometer, etc, the BS is great, even in temps below freezing.  It just takes a little time.  Also preheating is a good idea, some use bricks in the bottom (preheated) to bring the temp up faster and keep it stable.  I dont use them cause i havent had trouble with the temp.  Have fun with the bradley, it is a great machine, as olds says, its an oven that smokes.[^][^][^]

gotbbq

headgames

<font color="blue"></font id="blue">Thanks guys .  sorry for not replying back sooner ....... went to my moms  borrowed her digital thermometer/  heat was 206 ,.. so the one in the smoker is off by about 40 degrees .  birds turned out ok . a little dry but nice . i was smoking them as fillets ..  ran them in a brine for 24 hours . of   1 gallon water 1 cup brown sugar and 3/4 cup kosher salt . then a very good  rinse... very plain but good .  next time i am looking for a little more  ZEST  in the flavor .  any  ideas ???  thanks again for the responses ..... any  guide lines on setting of  the damper ???

If ya go home hungry.........You were at the WRONG HOUSE !
If ya go home hungry ........ You were at the wrong House!!

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by headgames</i>
<br />next time i am looking for a little more  ZEST  in the flavor .  any  ideas ???<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> S&S' Wild Willy's Number One-derful rub.[:p]

Regarding the in-door thermo, call Bradley, they'll send you a new one no problem.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

JJC

Hi Leroy,

Welcome to the Forum!  If you want a little more zest in your smoked birds, try one of the Dizzy Pig rubs that Big Smoker sells.  The Tsunami or the regular Dizzy Rub would be great choices.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA