• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Powdered Dextrose question?

Started by HawkeyeSmokes, December 26, 2009, 07:27:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HawkeyeSmokes

Plan on making some venison hot dogs in the next couple of days. The recipe calls for powdered dextrose that I don't have and ordering would take longer than I want to wait. Does any one have a suggestion for a substitute? Could plain sugar be used if powdered and reduce the amount as I know dextrose is less sweet than cane sugar?

Thanks, HES
HawkeyeSmokes

Habanero Smoker

From reading the following link, which suggest substituting dextrose for cane sugar by adding 20% to 30% more; I would guess the reverse would be true; in that you can use cane (table) sugar and reduce by the same percentage.
Cane Sugar to Dextrose Substitute

Pure corn syrup; that is corn syrup without fructose added, can be a substitute; but you may have to experiment with the amounts.

Also check out your local health food store, they may have powdered dextrose

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tenpoint5

I think you can also check places that sell home beer brewing supplies
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KevinG

Habs has you set, regular sugar can be used, just use less.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on December 26, 2009, 07:27:21 PM
Plan on making some venison hot dogs in the next couple of days. The recipe calls for powdered dextrose that I don't have and ordering would take longer than I want to wait. Does any one have a suggestion for a substitute? Could plain sugar be used if powdered and reduce the amount as I know dextrose is less sweet than cane sugar?

Thanks, HES

Karo syrup can be used (clear) use 1.60 fluid oz per 5 lbs of meat.

squirtthecat

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on December 27, 2009, 05:42:03 AM
Karo syrup can be used (clear) use 1.60 fluid oz per 5 lbs of meat.

Thanks for the tip, Nepas!   I had a similar question on what could be subbed for the dextrose.

Having had to care for a diabetic critter, I keep a couple bottles of Karo around the house.

HawkeyeSmokes

Thanks for the replies every one. Sounds like I can use either the Karo syrup or cane sugar. Will post the results once I get them done.
HawkeyeSmokes

Habanero Smoker

Be careful of what Karo syrup you buy. They make several types. The one you want is pure corn syrup. Check the label to make sure that fructose is not an ingredient. Fructose is added to corn syrup to sweeten it. If it is listed, then it is the same as adding a cane sugar, so you will have to reduce the amount that NePas has suggested.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)