• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Great Outdoors - Smokey Mountain Series

Started by MundayME, December 23, 2009, 02:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MundayME

I have a propane smoker that has stopped producing the heat it once did. I have taken almost everything apart and cleaned it, but still not producing the heat. Can someone tell me what I might be missing? What can I do to get the heat back. It only produces about 150 degrees; according to the door thermostat. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum MundayME!

Can you see the burner when it's on ?

does the flame look "normal" ?

what color is it ? Blue ? Yellow ?

I'm really not all that familiar with that smoker.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

Had a Holland Grill once.  The regulator between the propane bottle and the grill crapped out.  Sounds like yours has done the same.

You could replace the regulator but the ultimate solution to your problem is to buy a Bradley smoker. :D :D

Why else would come to a website of a smoker that doesn't use propane except for the Bradley portable? :D :D

Just kidding, seriously it sounds like the regulator has crapped out.  Get a new regulator but before that order you a Bradley smoker.  You won't regret it.

KyNola

seaeagle2

This may be a stupid question, but on my GO smokey mountain, the door thermometer doesn't work any more, are you sure it's not heating and maybe just the thermometer is shot. 
"If people worried about the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

ronbeaux

That was going to be my first guess too. Bad thermo. (3- Mile Island anyone??) Most of the thermometers put on pits are the cheapest they can find. Plus, they have a range in which they are the most accurate. A '0' to '400' will be most accurate in the 175 to 225 range, the middle of the scale. Some can be calibrated and some not. But all you are doing is moving the scale, the bi-metal element is still doing the same thing and if it is sprung or used to moving to an area that has been repeated many times it will develop a memory and won't be accurate regardless of how many times you calibrate.

I say check your flame to see if it is burning blue.
Check your thermometer in boiling water to see how close it is,
and then consider getting a new regulator.
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

seaeagle2

Yah, I was smoking  a batch of ribs and noticed mine wasn't working anymore.  I'm an HVAC tech by trade, so I got my fluke 16 multimeter and used the tempature probe from that, only problem, then the probe smelled like bbq.
"If people worried about the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson