Maverick ET-73 Question

Started by bayamosmokes, January 03, 2010, 07:49:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayamosmokes

Ok, confusion has officially set in.  I need help with my temperatures.

Yesterday I received my Maverick et-73 and cooked another slab of ribs this morning. The ribs were horrible. I actually think the cut of meet was more responsible for the lack of quality than the cooking itself.

Here is my problem

I have a 4 rack OBS. Assuming the bottom rack is #1, I placed my maverick smoker probe (using the clip) on the bottom of rack #2 and my ribs were on rack #3. My temperature gauge on the OBS was consistently lower than Maverick reading, sometimes as much as 50 degrees lower. When my OBS was registering 200 on the temperature gauge, my et-73 was registering 250. What temperature do I use when I decide to smoke my first butt?
"The Gulf of Mexico is a very big ocean. The amount of volume of oil and dispersant we are putting into it is tiny in relation to the total water volume.""

"I think the environmental impact of this disaster is likely to have been very, very modest."

"I want my life back,"
BP CEO Tony Hayward

KyNola

Mr Walleye

You always want to measure and trust the temperature that the meat is being exposed to. In your example you would want to trust the ET73. The OBS door thermometer extends into the cabinet a couple of inches and is influenced by the meat temperature and the moisture the meat gives off. This is because the probe portion is usually above the meat or close to it. You'll notice that they will get closer as the meat temp begins to rise later in the smoke.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

bayamosmokes

Mike & KyNola

Thank you for clearing this up for me.

I forgot to mention that I am using a 12"X8" disposable aluminum pan on the tray#2 directly above the probe.

Do you think this pan is effecting the temperature before it reaches the ribs? Do y'all suggest using something like the tray to catch droppings?
"The Gulf of Mexico is a very big ocean. The amount of volume of oil and dispersant we are putting into it is tiny in relation to the total water volume.""

"I think the environmental impact of this disaster is likely to have been very, very modest."

"I want my life back,"
BP CEO Tony Hayward

Mr Walleye

It could effect it. The only time I use a pan is if I'm boating something. I typically smoke my ribs for 3 hours at 220, let them go another 1 hour with out smoke, then boat with AJ for 2.5 hours. Next I typically sauce them on the grill.

Mike

Jax Fl Johnny

I recommend NOT using a drip pan. Let the grease juices drip into the "V" tray (the one with the vents) and into the water/spent puck bowl. When smoking a long time you will need to add water and or empty the water/spent puck bowl. I purchased a stainless bowl of similar size to make the swap out quicker. By having the additional bowl it helps on heat recovery time and remember to use HOT water to refill the bowl. This also helps on the heat recovery time.

I have the ET-73, trust it.

Johnny
Johnny C

bayamosmokes

Boat? I have seen this on the forum a bit but not sure exactly what it means.

Using Tenpoint5's recipe, I spray my ribs with apple juice and wrap them in foil. Is this boating?

"I want my life back,"
BP CEO Tony Hayward

Mr Walleye

Yup! You got it.  ;)

Everybody likes their ribs a little different. I like mine pretty tender so I tend to boat/foil mine a little longer than some.

Mike

bayamosmokes

Thanks again everyone. I have to say it again. The people on this forum are fantastic!!!

I was feeling a bit upset today but now am ready to smoke again.

Goodnight everyone. Going to bed and teaching a spin class at 5:30am. I have to work off some of those ribs & chicken calories from today.  ;)

"I want my life back,"
BP CEO Tony Hayward

Quarlow

Also put your ET probe under the same rack that you have your meat is on, that way you know what temps the meat is recieving. And get a couple of foil wrapped bricks inside there to act as a heat mass which helps to recover the temps after you have opened it. I put one down beside the bowl and one on the bottom rack or v-tray.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.