Newbie Cooking Question

Started by RichardS, December 21, 2009, 09:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichardS

Getting a OBS and Auber PID controller for Christmas.  Can't wait to try them out.  3 questions:
1) Where do I install the thermocouple from the Auber PID?
2) For my first load, I would like to smoke a turkey breast, a piece of salmon, and a pork butt?  Can this all be done at the same time?  If so, about how long and what temperature for each one?
3) I am getting some hickory, pecan, apple, and mesquite bisquettes.  Which would you recommend for use with the above?
Thanks so much.
RichardS
RichardS

starship

I have the same setup.  I drilled through the back and mounted the Arber sensor dead middle, almost on the same plain as the stock thermometer.

I smoke a butt 12-14 hours, not sure I want salmon in at the same time!  Maybe some one else will address that.
Amazing Ribs
http://www.amazingribs.com/index.html

Quarlow

Yeah I think I agree with starship. The salmon would take on the flavours of everything else.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

ArnieM

Welcome to the forum RichardS.

I was also a bit "gung ho" when I got my smoker.  This is a link to my initial post.  http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=11364.msg124515#msg124515

I had to learn to calm down.  ;)

All of your prospective choices require different smoking and cooking times as well as (ideally) different rubs, brining and wood flavors.  I know it's difficult, but I'd stick with one thing at a time.

Have fun and enjoy your smoker.  :D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

JT-MO

I used my PID and OBS for the first time a couple days ago and what I just did was run the probe down the vent hole on top of the OBS.
I ran the probe until it was just at the bottom level of my meat. The second probe for the meat went in the vent the same way and into the meat. If I decide to drill and mount I will wait until summer time when I get my garage cleaned out and have some room to work on it.

I would only smoke similar items together, I wouldn't do a salmon with pork. Plan a dinner around one smoked main course item. Like for example one day do pork for dinner, and then on another day do a salmon dinner.

Oh.. I forgot to say welcome to the forum!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: RichardS on December 21, 2009, 09:20:25 PM
Getting a OBS and Auber PID controller for Christmas.  Can't wait to try them out.  3 questions:
1) Where do I install the thermocouple from the Auber PID?
2) For my first load, I would like to smoke a turkey breast, a piece of salmon, and a pork butt?  Can this all be done at the same time?  If so, about how long and what temperature for each one?
3) I am getting some hickory, pecan, apple, and mesquite bisquettes.  Which would you recommend for use with the above?
Thanks so much.
RichardS

I would go the pork butt and turkey breast (one of the bottom racks) and do the salmon by itself.

Butts are very forgiving. I only would put 4 to 6 wood pucks for the smoke and the rest just heat. If you put 14 hours of smoke to it you might as well go eat a chunk of burnt tree wood.

Butt i take the internal heat to 190-200* easier to pull. Turkey breast take to 175-180*

I have the OBS/PID also, works great and nothing wrong with the probe down the vent, Keep vent half open too.  If your going to smoke both together you better do it early christmas eve  ;D

classicrockgriller

Richards, If you pre-smoke your butt, pull it and pkg it in fridge,
It is actually better the next day after the smoke has mingled with his friends.

And the same with the Turkey Breast. Smoke it to 170 or so and frige it and warm up in oven for
christmas at 250 untill warm.

Then you can do your fish for christmas day.

Hope this helps.

Quarlow

I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

RichardS

Thanks for all the good advice.  I appreciate all the replies.
Richard
RichardS