• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Breaking in smoker

Started by Seahawk, December 29, 2009, 08:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seahawk

I just purchased a new bds and was wondering if there was any truth to breaking in my new smoker?.

Ka Honu

Definitely season it per the instructions in the manual.  As well as getting the "new metal" taste out of the way, it has the additional benefit of making sure everything is put together correctly and works before you use it "for real."

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Seahawk on December 29, 2009, 08:13:19 PM
I just purchased a new bds and was wondering if there was any truth to breaking in my new smoker?.

When you buy a new car, does it have a break end time?

When you buy a new stove, does the instructions say let it get hot and cool down before using it?

I don't guess you "have to", but the rest of us did.

The seasoning period gives you time to run your Bradley with no food in it and see that everything is ready for your first smoke.

Plus it dulls them shiny walls so you don't blind yourself putting in your first meat for smoke.

Season that smoker and get to smokin! You'll be glad you did.

hal4uk

Ditto.

As much as I hate to say it...
Follow the instructions.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

ArnieM

Definitely season it prior to actual use.  Heating it will burn off any nasty oil used during the manufacturing process, as well as what the others said.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

KevinG

I'm going with the audience poll and seasoning prior to use.  ;D
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

pensrock

I went beyond what the instructions said. First I allowed it to heat up as hot as it would get and let it set for and hour, then I followed the instructions but allowed the smoke to roll for several hours.

NePaSmoKer

I never have to break in my smokers. I just open the door  :D  ;D

ArnieM

Quote from: pensrock on December 30, 2009, 09:46:00 AM
I went beyond what the instructions said. First I allowed it to heat up as hot as it would get and let it set for and hour, then I followed the instructions but allowed the smoke to roll for several hours.

Dang pens, you practically wore it out  ;D ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

KevinG

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on December 30, 2009, 09:48:57 AM
I never have to break in my smokers. I just open the door  :D  ;D

Does that mean the foods not worthy of being stolen  ;D keep it under lock and key. Just kidding, I know better.

Ouch - actually felt a thwap on the back of my head after that one!
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

pensrock

QuoteDang pens, you practically wore it out
:) Actually as you know the darker it gets inside the better the food comes out,
I was just trying to speed things up some and make sure all the oils from manufacturing were gone.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: pensrock on December 30, 2009, 10:13:04 AM
QuoteDang pens, you practically wore it out
:) Actually as you know the darker it gets inside the better the food comes out,
I was just trying to speed things up some and make sure all the oils from manufacturing were gone.

Dark and crusty  ;D

pensrock

Thats what I'm talking about!  :)

I know the six rack does not look like that...... yet. Give it another week or two.  :D