• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Temp Accuracy? Which one to trust?

Started by DjSaneR, October 31, 2009, 05:25:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DjSaneR

I started my 1st brisket this morning and its also my 1st time using the Maverick ET-73 in my 6 rack digital.  The Bradley temp is reading 203F while the Maverick is reading @ 222F.  Which one should I trust?  I have the Maverick temp probe attached to the rack that's holding the brisket.  I placed the brisket on one of the middle racks.

Thanks!
Bradley 6 Rack Digital
Weber Genesis S320
Weber Performer

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

DjSaneR

Thanks, 10! I'll post picks when it's done  :)
Bradley 6 Rack Digital
Weber Genesis S320
Weber Performer

Hopefull Romantic

I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

anderson5420

Well, having two thermometers is sort of like having two watches. If you only have one, you know what time it is. If you have two, you are never quite sure!  But the best plan is to use one, disregarding the other one, and make adjustments as you gain experience based on that one. 
So many recipes, so little time!

josbocc

Dj,

I would agree with the rest of the folks here..., trusting that Maverick.  HOWEVER, I feel obligated to tell you that I've experienced a 15 degree difference between the two probes on my Maverick, and that was into two very similar summer sausages, just inches apart.  (I think I committed a cardinal sin by soaking one of the probes in water).

Placement of the probe with the Maverick might account for a difference in temp.  My best suggestion for the tower temp is to invest in a PID.  So far my Auber PID has performed flawlessly, and I'm really happy with it.  It also lets you extend your smoking/cooking time out as long as you need to.  The DBS as it is won't let you smoke out beyond 10 hours (I believe).

Good Luck,

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

DjSaneR

Quote from: josbocc on December 26, 2009, 10:37:03 AM
(I think I committed a cardinal sin by soaking one of the probes in water).

Wait, you're not supposed to get the probes wet?  I wash them in the sink after each smoke.  Did I screw them up?
Bradley 6 Rack Digital
Weber Genesis S320
Weber Performer

pensrock

I just wipe the probe tips with a damp towel. I would never put them in water.

HawkeyeSmokes

I do pretty much like Pens does.

The only difference is I use some rubbing alcohol on a paper towel to wipe the probe down.

Moisture getting into the probe by the wire can/will trash them. Had that happen to one of mine.
HawkeyeSmokes

Pachanga

Quote from: DjSaneR on December 31, 2009, 04:17:28 PM
Quote from: josbocc on December 26, 2009, 10:37:03 AM
(I think I committed a cardinal sin by soaking one of the probes in water).

Wait, you're not supposed to get the probes wet?  I wash them in the sink after each smoke.  Did I screw them up?

The probe is not to get wet at the junction of the wire and metal probe.  Treat this point with high temperature gasket silicone available at the automotive store.

Check any probe against ambient temperature and boiling water before each use.  Additionally, shove the meat probe past the point you think is the correct placement and slowly pull back.  Stop at the the lowest temperature.  The sensor is not necessarily in the pointed tip.  It is usually up from the tip.  The chamber probe should be attached to and below the lowest meat rack, door side or on the same level of the meat rack.

I own a six rack unmodified digital.  I would trust the Maverick every time over the Bradley the six rack digital unless the above tests prove different.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

Habanero Smoker

I use Scotch Brite heavy duty scouring pads, to clean the probes then wipe them down with an alchol prep pad. One pad goes a long ways. I cut the scouring pad into about 1"x1" squares.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)