Hello From Indy

Started by Waverunner, December 30, 2009, 08:03:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waverunner

Just wanted to say hello and thanks for all the great info on this forum.  We've owned the OBS for a little over a month now.  We attempted ribs for our first run and were a little off on the amount of time, so we finished up in the oven... very tasty.

Getting ready to brine and smoke a whole chicken (8 lbs) .... wish us luck!

I'm a little confused about the amount of time to brine; some say 3 or 4 hours, others say overnight? 

Any and ALL comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks again for all the expertise!  Happy New Year!

NePaSmoKer

Welcome to the forum.

I have done 3-4 hour brine times with good results. Overnight is better for greater brine penetration.

I'm sure your chicken will be great whatever time your going to use.

nepas

KyNola

Welcome to the forum waverunner.

Open your vent 100% when you smoke/cook that chicken.  Poultry holds a ton of moisture and you want that to escape your smoker quickly.

KyNola

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum Waverunner!

I usually brine chickens 4-6 hours. For some that can be overnight  ;D

For poultry keep the vent wide open.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KevinG

Welcome waverunner - haven't seen to many watersports coming out of Indy, only auto racing  ??? anyhow I too brine mine overnight.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

ArnieM

Hi Waverunner and welcome to the forum.

Brine time will depend on the size of the bird, the strength of the brine and your taste.  I'd probably give it up to 10 hours for an 8 pound bird and an "average" brine.

Check out the recipe site link; http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=180  There is a section on curing and brining with lots of recipes and ideas.

Did anyone mention to keep the vent wide open?  ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

NePaSmoKer

I forgot to mention the vent thing too.

Maybe its too clod or not the right season  :D  :D

Waverunner

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!  Very much appreciated.

Yes, I think I read something about keeping the vent open 100% for chicken somewhere... ha ha

KevinG - There used to be an old travel slogan used in Indiana that said something like, "there's more than just racing in Indiana", or maybe is was "more than corn in Indiana" ha ha...

KevinG

;D guess that's better than flies on manure  ;D One more thing you might want to look out for is the strength of the brine. 21 degrees is what I use for overnight, more than that and it might start to taste too salty.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG