• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Bacon --advice?

Started by GusRobin, February 19, 2010, 06:38:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

I have 2 pork bellies, cured and drying in the fridge gettiing ready to be smoked tomorrow. Has anyone tried putting any kind of rub on the bellies when smoking them?
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Gizmo

I haven't.  Would give you a different flavor on the surface.  You might want to try to put in the additional flavorings when curing so that flavor can permeate through the meat.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

I have and it is very easy to do. I prefer using cracked whole spices as the rub, because when you bite into a cracked spice you really get a burst of flavor. I have use straight cracked peppercorns, and also have tried the cracked pepper mixed with some crack toasted coriander, or crack toasted fennel seed. If using cracked spices you really need to firmly press them into the meat; shortly before you plan to smoke them. A light coating of maple syrup may help them stick to the meat, but I never tried that.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tenpoint5

My next batch I am planning on rubbing one of the bellies down with fresh pressed garlic then smash in some fresh cracked Blk Pepper
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on February 20, 2010, 06:10:54 AM
My next batch I am planning on rubbing one of the bellies down with fresh pressed garlic then smash in some fresh cracked Blk Pepper

I thought of adding herbs and garlic, but I was afraid they would burn before the bacon was done. If you do that let us know how it turns out. That is something I always wanted to try.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Halifax Aussie

One of my types of Bacon I call "Maple Glazed Smoked Bacon"
Goes like this

After the cure and clean of the brine I let the peclie (that's how i am spelling it today)  set for 12-24 hours  then  i very lightly glaze with pure maple !
After smoking with cherry for 2hours and bring it up to 150 its tastes like the 8th wonder of the world !

Man i love home made Bacon !
In 1992, Newfoundland scientists discovered that Bacon was made from pigs.

West Coast Kansan

I landed with Gizmo on this one...

Let us know what you do and how it turned out.  I would be pretty timid without building on someones experience. 

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

GusRobin

First I will apologize for no pictures. Camera problems. I did one pork bellywith no rub; the other with a rub made with garlic powder, onion powder, and some generic Cajun rub I had in the pantry. Smoked with 2 hrs maple, 1 hour alder. cooked until 140 IT. Cooled, sliced, vac sealed and into the fridge overnight. Fried up thte next morning. I thought they were a little on the salty side (probably need to soak a little longer after the dry cure), but wife said they were perfect. As long as I can get decent pork bellys I am done with store bought bacon.
To answer my own question of to rub or not, I think I will apply rub in the future
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Gizmo

Awesome,
Extra little soak can make a difference.  I usually cut a small piece off, fry it up and taste it to see if I need a longer soak.
Thanks for the update.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/