newbee

Started by SteveBird, April 12, 2005, 01:14:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

The FTC is what I've called for years a passive cooker. Funny, I've never FTC smoked foods but a many non-smoked items over the years. Especially a Prime Rib. Pull it around 130F and an hour later it is closer to 140F.

Age the Prime Rib from 3 to 4 weeks before roasting and then by utilizing a "passive cooking" method (only my FTC is wet--so there is not F or T) allows you to take a standard 7 bone Rib roast and turn it into something really special.

<font size="4"><font color="red"><b>Have you Voted? If Not Click HERE!</b></font id="red"></font id="size4">
Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Oldman</i>
<br />The FTC is what I've called for years a passive cooker. Funny, I've never FTC smoked foods but a many non-smoked items over the years. Especially a Prime Rib. Pull it around 130F and an hour later it is closer to 140F.

Age the Prime Rib from 3 to 4 weeks before roasting and then by utilizing a "passive cooking" method (only my FTC is wet--so there is not F or T) allows you to take a standard 7 bone Rib roast and turn it into something really special.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Details Man Details[:D]

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

JJC

Hi All,

Olds, I wonder if we are talking about pretty much the same thing when some of us say FTC and you say "wet" resting without the F and T.  Since I always add apple juice or applejuice/thin BBQ sauce when I FTC, that would essentially amount to what you are calling "wet", no?  I think the basic idea is to let the meat temp and juice distribution equilibrate by resting it for a while.  The particular method (FTC, or your wet approach, or letting it sit in an oven) is debatable and probably quite flexible, but the principle is likely the same.  

Steve, my briskets are delicious--flavorful and tender.  Butg they are not falling of the bone tender like a butt.  I think you've achieved nirvana or close to it with your brisket.  One thing I do notice is that I get a definite increase in flavor and tenderness when I use the Reveo to marinate the brisket before putting it in the BS . . .

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SteveBird</i>
I think I read from one of you guys to jack it up to 400 to preheat.  Is that the proper way to preheat the BS?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Hi Steve,

I would seriously doubt if the BS would ever reach 400F.  It should have a cutoff built in that will shut down the heating element around 325 or so.  I would think about pre-heating the BS to 50-75F above your target temp before putting your items in.  Many of us use a brick or ceramic BBQ tiles in the bottom of the BS to help hold in the heat and lessen the temp swings that occur when the door it opened.  You don't need to do this--the only advantage to it is that it might slightly decrease tghe amount of time needed to cook the food since the cabinet temp recovers quicker.  It also satisfies my anal-obsessive tendencies and need for control . . . [8D][:D]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Baldrick615

The great thing about this smoker is even the experiments usually turn out well, so I wold just try different times, temps, etc.  As far as the FTC, I think it really is important - since you are cooking for so long, it's good to let the meat (whatever it is) soak up the juices and maybe a little apple juice for a while.  I find with pork butts that they can rest all night in the cooler and be perfect for lunch the next day.

Good luck smoking!!

Baldrick615

Where do you buy BBQ tiles?  Are they just unglazed quarry tiles like a pizza stone?

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Where do you buy BBQ tiles? Are they just unglazed quarry tiles like a pizza stone<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">These are fire bricks that will not crack under direct flame. Check with the companies in your area that sell blocks and bricks.

A passive cooker is any method that employs the use of the heat within an item itself without outside energy. A simple but good example of a passive cooker is scrabble eggs cooked until they are soft. Place them on a plate and cover with 3-4 paper towels to hold in the heat and the eggs will continue to cook. For all that has been said about your FTC is in truth a passive cooker.

If I take a prime rib to 130 degrees F (all but raw) and placed it into a ice chest. Then covered it with boil Au Ju after 2 hours it would be medium to medium well done.  However, and this is important, the meat would never get to 160 degrees F.

Passive cooking has many advanages. It allows you to continue the cook without the down side of cooking in direct radiant heat. It will retain meat moisture all the way to well done...simply you can have meat so well done you cannot pick it up with a fork, but yet it is not dried out. Passive cooking allows you to introduce a flavor/ seasoning without running the chance of flavor change of said item.

Next time you make a spaghetti with Italian sauage try this for flavor.  Cook you spaghetti sauce. When near finished take your Italian sauage and very lightly flash brown it in olive oil. Now prick the skin of the sauage. Bring your spaghetti sauce to a boil. Place it with sauage into an ice chest. Cover the chest with several large towel. Wait one hour. Then taste it.

I have used passive cooking most of my life. It can be used on vegtables, i.e. rice too, meats, and even some deserts. I have always felt that passive cooking was the only way to go when you want to enhance the finally product with flavoring that otherwise would cook out.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

SteveBird

I did the FTC with my first successful brisket.  It was great.  Now Ill be trying it for everything I smoke just to see how it turns out.

thanks all.

SteveBird