• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Storing Cooked / Cured Salami and Pepperoni

Started by oakville smoker, January 23, 2010, 09:38:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakville smoker

I have a load of salami and pepperoni I made last Sunday renting part of my garage out    :-*
I still have some left over from the virgin run I did around Christmas
I have noticed significant shrinkage in both and trying to avoid that this time around

If I vac seal both and store in the fridge, will it help maintain their current hardness and size?
It was cooked to 155 and has been drying for a week now

I am even thinking I will slice all  the pepperoni, vac pac it and freeze it

Thoughts ?

All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

lumpy

I vac pack all of my sticks, put in freezer and pull out of the freezer when needed..........they are needed alot ;)

Some of my salami's I hang in the garage for a few weeks and let them dry out. After a few weeks they get very hard, slice them thinly in a slicer and they taste great.

The longer they are exposed to air the dryer they get.

Lumpy

oakville smoker

The sticks make sense to vac pack and freeze
I think I could even rationalize pepperoni
I know the longer the salami hangs, the harder it gets which is fine
I just dont want it to go too far

Myabe I should try and vac pac a couple, put them in the fridge and see what happens for a week ?
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?