Hello from North Wales, UK

Started by bassarisk, January 26, 2010, 05:46:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bassarisk

Hello all !!

Not bought a Bradley yet - planning on getting one soon, so just keeping an eye on some of the posts at the moment !!!

"The angler is a hopeful mortal who ought to know better"

H.T. Sheringham (1876 - 1930)

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum bassarisk!

If you haven't found our recipe site you can click on the ribs at the bottom of this post.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

manxman

Welcome to the forum bassarisk, I have had my BS for a few years now and can thoroughly recommend them. Plenty of information and recipes available here and on the recipe site to get you going.

We may be able to see each other on a good day, only a hop, skip and a jump across the water from you on the Isle of Man.  :)
Manxman

bassarisk

Hi both, thanks for the replies.

Quick question for Manxman - do you use a PID and do they work on our UK supply ?  I was all set to get a digital 4 rack with cold smoke adaptor, but now I'm not so sure.

I'm hoping to cold smoke salmon, but also fancied playing around with hot smoking of fish, joints of meat and perhaps even attempt bacon at a later date (slicer bought last week in Argos sale).

dbondy

Welcome to the forum bassarisk, I'v had my obs for a fews year also and I'm very happy with it. I'm not sure about the power supply question for the pid but someone will be along shortly. :)

smokeNcanuck

Good Day, Eh! ;)
Welcome to the start of a life long addiction! ;D  I suspect that with in a short time of getting
up and running that you will be smoking more than you ever thought you would.
Either Way....I'm Smoke'N It

manxman

QuoteQuick question for Manxman - do you use a PID and do they work on our UK supply ?  I was all set to get a digital 4 rack with cold smoke adaptor, but now I'm not so sure.

I have the stainless steel OBS together with an Auber PID and cold smoke adaptor and if I was buying again right now I would stay with this combination. I am sure others would say go with the digital model though!  ::)

For the first couple of years I just used the OBS, I would see the PID as very nice addition but not essential.... but if you have the £££'s then go for it!  Auber will ship direct to the UK and the voltage range is 100 - 240V so it is fine for use in the UK. All you have to do is get UK cables as it comes with US cables.

I used a cardboard box in place of the Bradley cold smoke adaptor to start with, again it worked perfectly well although the cold smoke adaptor does make life a little easier. Be careful with the aluminium ducting...... it is easily damaged!  >:(

The Bradley makes the best cold smoked back bacon and streaky bacon imagineable and is something I do frequently. I bought the BS primarly for fish but now hot and cold smoke a wide variety of things.

Whichever combination you go for I am sure you won't be disappointed.  ;) :D

I would suggest buying some finer meshed Bradley Jerky Racks and a Maverick dual probe thermometer. The former are available in the UK, the latter aren't as far as I am aware so you may have to sound out any US contacts you may have!
Manxman

ArnieM

Hi bassarisk and welcome to the forum.  You're going to have lots of fun and good eats with that thing!
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Caneyscud

Welcome to the forum bassarisk!  As you might have already found out this place is a fount of information.  And good people from all over the world.  Have fun and ask any questions you may have.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

classicrockgriller

Welcome to the forum bassarisk!

Like Caney said, We have members from all over the world on the Forum

and it sure makes for some good times.

ExpatCanadian

Welcome from London!  Good to have another UK member of the "club"!

OU812

Welcome to the fun bassarisk

Be warned this type of smoking is very addictive.

KevinG

Welcome bassarisk, go ahead and dive in, you won't regret it.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Waltz

Welcome Bassarisk,
I got my Bradley (6-rack digital) at Xmas so quite a Newbie but enjoy it a lot. There are a few of us here based in the UK.  I have found everyone on this forum to be helpful and encouraging so if you need to discuss anything before deciding on which smoker or accessories to get or what to smoke or how to smoke it, just ask on here and someone will respond.  Most of the stuff discussed is available in UK, either directly or shipped from USA (almost always at a higher price than USA but that is the same for most things). I can answer your question to Manxman re. the Auber (hope you don't mind).  It works well on our 240v and gives really tight temperature control, something the Bradley is not too good at.  It is rated 110v to 240v and can switch up to 12 amps.
Don't wait too long before buying, you don't know what you are missing :P.

Best wishes,
Waltz

bassarisk

Thanks Everybody for the very informative replies and the very warm welcome.

Don't worry I won't leave it too long before purchase, I just need to sort out the area I have designated to use it in - after that it will be all systems go !

Thanks again everybody.