• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Fresh smoked bacon no cure

Started by love the smoke, February 27, 2010, 12:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

love the smoke

Hi

I am looking for a recipe for "fresh smoked bacon". Brother is into the good food all natural stuff so I am looking for a recipe that don't use any sodium nitrates or nitrites, just SALT for the curing process. He foiund some applewood smoked salt he would like to use

So any body know where I can find a recipe without nitrites/nitrates

LTS
LTS

FLBentRider

I think Alton Brown did one with just salt.

Sodium nitrate is a naturally occurring substance. Its not like we get it from outer space  ;D ;D ;D
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

mski

Check the USDA web site for safety not using nitrites , In Bacon nitrates are not allowed, that means tender quick is a no no.
I think you have to up the salt % if no nitrites are used.

Habanero Smoker

The recipe that drewpatton posted does not need nitrites. The reseason the USDA does not allow nitrate in foods that will be cooked is the possibility of too much residual nitrites will be left in the meat after it has been cured. When cooked these residuals can possible form cancer causing nitrosamines, and the latest studies show the risk is low. Nitrates, because they are slow acting increases the chance of residual nitrites in the meat.

The manufacture recommends that Morton Tender Quick, and Sugar Cures be used for bacon, sausage and other meats that will be cooked. Since those products are approve for use as described, then the possible residual nitrites or nitrates are well below the USDA limit for permitted residual nitrites; which is 200 part per million or 0.02%. Though I rarely use Morton Tender Quick, I would have to say they are save for curing foods that will be cooked.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

mski

USDA prohibits nitrates in bacon, if one was a commercial producer TQ would be prohibited, The problem is with high heat frying that causes the nitrosiamnes . sausage or pastrami we don't cook at that high temp.
I agree that by the time the bacon is cured it is nitric acid.
I always say better safe than sorry. but then again
Out to check the bacon I have in the smoker, 4.5 hours and still under 120 deg,  , I'll grab a beer and cigarette, I always make sure my cig's have no nitrates

love the smoke

Seems the recipes for "Fresh Bacon" need to cold smoke the pig belly, so what temp do I need to keep it under to keep it safe ?

LTS
LTS

Gizmo

Technical cold smoke is below 100 degrees.  I believe below 80 deg F is better.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

I believe the USDA prohibits the commercial use of nitrates in any cured meat that will be cooked; that includes sausage or pastrami, due to the possibilities of nitrosamines being formed when cooked at any temperature. But if the USDA approves Morton Tender Quick and Sugar Cure to be use in the home for curing bacon and other cured foods that will be cooked (exposed to high temperatures), then that should mean the amount of residual nitrites will be under the USDA safe guidelines. I'm not saying you are wrong, but there are opposing views. You should always prepare and cook food at your own comfort level, but others need to make an informed decision as to whether Morton Tender Quick can or can not be used to cure bacon.

Nitrates are one of the most common chemical found in foods, especially in plants. Google Tobacco-specific nitrosamines.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

love the smoke

So if I cold smoke my belly for approx 4 hours what temp should i keep it below it is pretty cold out now yet so it is the time to do it

I think I can keep it below 50 for 4 hours ?

LTS
LTS

love the smoke

found a recipe for "no cure" bacon, but still cook it to 150 degrees, what do you think, are all the bad bugs killed in this

http://www.bsbrewing.com/blog/2007/08/makin-bacon/

LTS
LTS

mski

That will make safe bacon as long as you cook it after slicing, just keep the smoking temp higher than 140.
Let us see the finshed product.
Good luck