• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Sausage fungus

Started by IcedGotti, February 09, 2010, 03:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IcedGotti

I recently made 5 lbs of sausage, on the outer casing is a white substance.  I thought it was dried fat but looking closer I dont know that it is.  Anyone had this before.  This is my first time smoking sausage in the bradley.  Ive never had this happen before.  Your help is greatly appreciated.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: IcedGotti on February 09, 2010, 03:19:01 PM
I recently made 5 lbs of sausage, on the outer casing is a white substance.  I thought it was dried fat but looking closer I dont know that it is.  Anyone had this before.  This is my first time smoking sausage in the bradley.  Ive never had this happen before.  Your help is greatly appreciated.

What kind of sausage?

I never heard of a fungus on smoked sausage. Now dried thats another story.

Might be a fat-out

marauder11

What kind of casing. Will it smear?

IcedGotti

I dont really think its a fungus.  It is a summer sausage.  When i try and smear it, it comes right off.  I wiped the whole thing down and it all came off very easy.  Its a synthetic fibrous casing. 

NePaSmoKer

More than likely its fat or protein. Nothing to worry about

marauder11

I would think a fungus would be more difficult to remove. Also i would think there would be a discolouration after it was removed.

Habanero Smoker

Where the casings protein lined? If so that may have cause the white substance to form on the outside. The protein lined casings are for dry cured (fermented) sausages and are not meant for sausage that will be fully cook. Applying smoke at a low temperature prior to drying is alright, but I'm not sure how they will react to higher temperatures.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)