• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Stick ?'s

Started by bpnclark, February 10, 2010, 12:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bpnclark

Sorry for these questions... I'm making my first batch of sticks this weekend. This will also be my first experience with using collagen casings. I'm using LEM Backwoods packets from Bass Pro. One is a 5lb Hot Stick and the other is a 5lb Snack Stick. I'll be using 8 lbs of lean pork butt and 2 lbs of antelope.

1 – The pork butt is pretty lean and antelope has no fat. Should I take out some pork and replace it with pork fat, or does the pork already have enough fat in it already.

2 – I plan on using the racks. After I stuff the casings, do I just cut them without tying them?   

3 – If I don't want that much smoke taste, should I cut the smoke time in half? I'm also planning on using Hickory.

Thanks for the help –

NePaSmoKer

bp

The stick mix you have is real good.  One thing i would do is reverse you meat mix to 7 1/2 lbs prong horn and 2 1/2 lbs pork butt.

Racking is ok to do with the sticks and you can just cut them to the rack length.

To not have such smokey sticks cut the pucks (smoke) to 2-3 and try not to exceed 180* heat

Lots of great advice you will get here from some fine sausage makers.

RAF128

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on February 10, 2010, 01:28:23 PM
bp

The stick mix you have is real good.  One thing i would do is reverse you meat mix to 7 1/2 lbs prong horn and 2 1/2 lbs pork butt.

Racking is ok to do with the sticks and you can just cut them to the rack length.

To not have such smokey sticks cut the pucks (smoke) to 2-3 and try not to exceed 180* heat

I agree.   Usually most sausage calls for about 30% pork.    Most times the port I put in is what the butchers refers to as 50/50, 1/2 pork and 1/2 pork fat.

JF7FSU

Is it ok to cut the sticks prior to smoking after stuffing?
Posted via Tapatalk - iPhone

classicrockgriller

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on February 10, 2010, 01:28:23 PM
bp

JF7FSU

Thanks, wasn't sure if breaking the casing would have some adverse effect on them.
Posted via Tapatalk - iPhone

classicrockgriller

;D I didn't say that, nepas did. ;D

RickWL63

JF7FSU,

I cut mine after stuffing them (before smoking) and had no trouble with them.  Just make sure you leave a little space between them for good smoke passage if you are racking them.  Also, if you are finishing them in the Bradley, you may have to rotate the trays as you progress through the day.

Rick