• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

need help!

Started by Heavy, April 15, 2005, 06:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heavy

I have a brisket & 2 pork shoulders I want to smoke. The briskets weight is 12.89lbs & the pork shoulders are 8.69lbs & 8.75lbs. How do I position the meat & on the pork there is real thick skin (not fat)-do I leave it or take it off? What internal temp am I looking for b4 doing the ftc?  How many hours am I looking at? Thanks I am waiting to get started so any help is appreciated!!

BigSmoker

I would put the pork on top of the brisket.  Remove the thick skin on the shoulder if you want.  You might get more smoke flavor if its removed.  You could also drape it back on the meat to help keep it moist.  Temp for the brisket is 185°f for me and the pork is 200°f.  As far as time goes... its ready when its ready.  I would guess your looking at around 16-18 hrs.  Maybe longer.  Rotate the pork after 6-7 hours and look at the brisket to make sure its not getting dry.  Good Luck[;)].

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Heavy

Thanks Jeff - I will let you know how it all turns out after a couple of days!!

Heavy

Hey Jeff, what temp should the smoker be around???

Heavy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BigSmoker</i>
<br />I would put the pork on top of the brisket.  Remove the thick skin on the shoulder if you want.  You might get more smoke flavor if its removed.  You could also drape it back on the meat to help keep it moist.  Temp for the brisket is 185°f for me and the pork is 200°f.  As far as time goes... its ready when its ready.  I would guess your looking at around 16-18 hrs.  Maybe longer.  Rotate the pork after 6-7 hours and look at the brisket to make sure its not getting dry.  Good Luck[;)].

Jeff

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> So do I smoke for the entire time??? I am a little confused & new to this??

psdubl07

Heavy, you're gonna want the smoker in the 210-230 range.  At these temps and for that much meat, I would plan on at <i>least</i> 16 hours total cooking time, maybe more.

As far as smoking time, the general consensus is that meat won't take on any more smoke flavor after about 4 hours, or 140 degrees internal temp.  So <b>max</b> smoke time would probably be 5 hours, but most here don't go over 4.

HTH,  Paul

Heavy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by psdubl07</i>
<br />Heavy, you're gonna want the smoker in the 210-230 range.  At these temps and for that much meat, I would plan on at <i>least</i> 16 hours total cooking time, maybe more.

As far as smoking time, the general consensus is that meat won't take on any more smoke flavor after about 4 hours, or 140 degrees internal temp.  So <b>max</b> smoke time would probably be 5 hours, but most here don't go over 4.

HTH,  Paul
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> Hey Paul - thanks for the help-I would have been putting discs in there the whole 16 hours!!!! HaHa! Thank you very much for helping out a newcomer - a big help!!

psdubl07

No problem.  You will find tons of helpful info/people here.  Don't be afraid to ask any other questions!

Chez Bubba

Heavy,

Go ahead & throw 16 hours worth of bisquettes at it. We've got plenty to sell ya![;)]

Just kidding, the previous advice is sound. Personally, I usually apply smoke for about half the expected cooking time. The more meat you have, the longer it take to come up to 140 & I view smoke just like any other ingredient. You need more smoke to flavor more meat, just as you'd use more garlic for 30# than 5#.

Being new, you ask "But how do I know what 1/2 the time will be if I've never done this?" Easy. Go with the estimates from the experienced guys above & err to the lighter side. If you don't get a smokey enough flavor the first time, you can add more the next but still have an enjoyable meal. If you go overboard for your tastes the first time, you will feel like you've ruined a whole pile of meat.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out & welcome to the board,

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

BigSmoker

I agree with Chez a little extra smoke time for a full cabinet.  I don't usually smoke that much stuff so I usually smoke with just 4 hrs like psdubl07 says.

Jeff

Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Heavy

Hey guys, thanks for the info - took the brisket to work, co-workers loved it - continued cooking the pork shoulders until I got home this morning! Completed FTC then I thought I turned the smoker off came inside to see if I could get info on cleaning my smoker & when I went back outside I found my smoker "SMOKING" - Yeh guys, I started a fire in my smoker - seems I turned it all the way high instead of off!! My next question would be "What damage has been done?" The walls inside are a little warped & the rubber strip on the door is somewhat melted???? Hmmm, what now?? I am off to church-will deal with this matter later!!!!![:0]

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
<br />Heavy,

Go ahead & throw 16 hours worth of bisquettes at it. We've got plenty to sell ya![;)]

Just kidding, the previous advice is sound. Personally, I usually apply smoke for about half the expected cooking time. The more meat you have, the longer it take to come up to 140 & I view smoke just like any other ingredient. You need more smoke to flavor more meat, just as you'd use more garlic for 30# than 5#.

Being new, you ask "But how do I know what 1/2 the time will be if I've never done this?" Easy. Go with the estimates from the experienced guys above & err to the lighter side. If you don't get a smokey enough flavor the first time, you can add more the next but still have an enjoyable meal. If you go overboard for your tastes the first time, you will feel like you've ruined a whole pile of meat.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out & welcome to the board,

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Congrats on your one hundred millionth post and promotion to Good Guy, Chez! [;)][;)][;)]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA