• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

How to make "casingless" sausage?

Started by BigFella, February 26, 2010, 09:47:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigFella

Hey all.  So I don't have the money yet to invest in a good stuffer or grinder, so I'm wondering if there are any "casingless" recipes out there that are good that I could still do in the OBS?  I would obviously be using pre-ground meats, but my local butcher will grind shoulders, etc. for me...

As always, any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

Mr Walleye

BigFella

Pretty much any of the many sausage recipes can be done without casings. In fact when I've been playing with recipes I sometimes make a very small batch and do exactly that. They turn out fine.

Mike

Sorry.... I meant to add... just roll them into the approximate diameter of sausage and lay them on the racks. They will flatten out somewhat but they still taste the same.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

big kahuna

I used to make breakfast sausage. My electric grinder had sausage tubes. It was a pain to use, so I squirted out lines on a tray lined with wax paper, cut them into lenghts, froze them, bagged them, and they were better than average.

smokeitall

Do you have a Kitchen Aid Mixer?  Grinder attachment for that is around $50 I think.  I have a Kitchen Stuffer attachment that you can have, only used once!  At least that would get you started.
SIA

Smokin Soon

Sometimes it's fun to make little roll up "fatties" Use your imagination on the mix and roll up in saran wrap! Just spread your mix out and roll it up to about 1 and a half inch "logs" and  throw in the fridge overnight.
No casings needed!

NePaSmoKer

Go to Wallymart and in the area where the kitchen fryers, coffee pots and things are you can get the Nesco jerky gun for GM. It has a flat and round nozzle. I think the stores carry the Oster one now and the Nesco is online.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nesco-American-Harvest-Jumbo-Jerky-Works-Kit/12337723