• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

how long for smoker to come up to temp?

Started by rmdodson, February 22, 2010, 12:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmdodson

??? Got a question for you all...

I started my 1st smoke about an hour ago (chicken legs & thighs). How long for the smoker to get up to 250? Before I put the meat (60 deg) in, the smoker was around 255 with the slider about 3/4 to right. After putting it in the smoker the temp is now 150 for the smoker & 135 for the meat (probe stuck in leg) with the vent 1/2 open. I closed the vent & the smoker temp is finally beginning to climb & is above 160 & rising faster. Heck, I'd be happy with 200 right now.

Is my 10# of thighs & legs going to be alright? I added more wood pucks just in case.

Forgot to mention that ambient is 30 outside, but no wind.

FLBentRider

Ten pounds is a pretty good load of poultry.

I would open the vent at least 1/4 to let the moisture out, or you might get black condensed smoke raining down on your food. (not good)

I would move the slider all the way to the right.

What are you monitoring your box temps with? The door thermometer ?

Is your chicken in racks above or below the thermometer? If below, the reading will be falsely low, since the food is absorbing the heat.

I measure my box temp with a maverick ET-73 with the probe just below the lowest rack of food.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

rmdodson

Thanks for answering.

I have the Maverick with 2 probes. Smoker probe is in the provided bracket attached under the lowest rack (current reading 174). Meat probe is stuck in a leg which also in in the bottom rack center (currently 145). Vent is 1/4 open & slider is fully right now.

Caneyscud

FLBR got ya going.  Open the vent, but it will take a little while to get back up to temp.  Lots of moisture to overcome.  It's doing what it is supposed to do!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

rmdodson

Thanks, I started out with 6 pucks to smoke a little over an hour & I added 6 more. Should I quit with the smoke? let 10 of the 12 burn (no bubba pucks yet) & then quit? Or put in more & keep smokin' the meat until it's cooked?

Geez, I thought that I was prepared & ready for this & that it would be a breeze! Suddenly I feel like a bonehead  :-\

HawkeyeSmokes

They guys have given you good advice.

I think having the slider all the way to right on your OBS until it comes back up to temp will help a lot. It operates with a rheostat that reduces the power to the heating element to control the temp. Once it has reached your desired cooking temp, then start adjusting it down.

I would stop the smoke. About 2 hours should be plenty for chicken. You can always adjust it to your taste on the next batch.

It sounds like your on the right track.

Good luck and keep us posted.
HawkeyeSmokes

rmdodson

Thanks to all of you  :D I'll quit fussin' over (& with) it & let it do its job. It sure smells good!

1/2 was marinated in honey teriyaki & the other 1/2 in carribbean jerk marinades...I'll post a pic when it's done.