• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

If I add an Xtra heating element do I need a PID - 4rkBDS

Started by canyonman, February 23, 2010, 02:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canyonman

I want to add an additional heating element (bulb) to my 4 rack BDS.  Do I need to purchase a PID or can the stock temp controller handle the extra wattage?  Thanks for your help.

classicrockgriller

I would get a PID before you turn that double element on.

If not, keep it low 220 to 230.

The problem is if you turn on the Bradley without resetting the digital temp,

it defaults to 280 and with the temp swing, you could exceed the 300 to 320

safe range of the Bradley and knock out your thermo fuse.

canyonman

Thanks for the info.  Other than making sure I manually set the temp at no more than 250 (to account for the temp swing so that it dose not get hotter than 300 in the tower) I should be OK, right?  In other words having a second heating element won't over tax the other electrical/digital/computer components.  I know most of us are not electrical engineers but I'm just looking for input and thoughts or ideas on the mater.  Thanks again for any reply's.

classicrockgriller

IMO, If you make sure you set your digitial to 240* or 250*, you should be ok.

I have dual elements and was gonna just smoke some Boudain and unhooked the PID.

I turn on the Bradley without resetting and you can guess what happened.

You may want to put a note on the front door to remind you.

Would be nice to change the default setting.

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: FLBentRider on February 24, 2010, 03:45:35 AM
I would not run two elements without a PID.

Ditto.

I would go the safe route and get a PID if you add the extra element.
HawkeyeSmokes

classicrockgriller

I was looking at the Smokers on Bradley's web page and they have changed the temp range of the smokers from

ambient to 320* to ambient to 280*.

If they have changed the thermo fuse accordling that is even more reason to have a PID.

As I stated before "I would get a PID before you turn that double element on".

Mr Walleye

Canyonman

I would definitely control it with a PID for a couple of reasons.

The first reason is the DBS controls were built with the single element (500 watts) in mind. Once you have added the 2nd element it is now drawing 1000 watts. I don't know for sure if you would have a problem or not but I wouldn't run the risk.

The second reason is because by running 1000 watts of heat the unit is capable of recovering temps quickly and I think you want to maintain the best control you can.

I know RoadKing at one time suggested allowing the DBS controller to control an SSR (SSR would have to be powered separately) which in turn controls the heating elements. This way the controller is not handling the 1000 watt draw, the SSR is. Unfortunately I have no experience with this setup.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Toker

Hi guys look the email that i received about the new temp lowered from 320 to 280.

Hi Frank

The high limit cut off for temperature is set to  320 degrees Fahrenheit.  People mistakenly believe that this translates to cooking at 320 degrees.  The Bradley Smoker is designed as a slow cooker and not an oven .  Therefore by stating a lower temperature their cooking experience is now in line with expectations. 

To answer your question: the inline fuse has not been changed.

Thank you for your interest and continued support of Bradley Smokers.

Thank You

Brian Nelson

Bradley Technologies Inc.

1609 - Derwent Way

Delta B.C. V3M-6K8

ph - 604-524-3848

fx - 604-524-3823

1-800-665-4188

E-Mail: [email protected]