Bradley temp vs PID temp

Started by RAF128, March 18, 2010, 08:13:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAF128

Today I again noticed there is quite a difference temp reading between Bradley and the PID.    I've noticed this before and confirmed with a temp probe that the PID is correct.    This morning it was reading 120 and the Bradley says it 156.    Can't understand why the Bradley is out that much.    With that diffence it's no wonder it took so long to cook things in the pre-PID days.

classicrockgriller

On my new 6 rack, the Bradley said it was 320* and the Auber said 210*

Was concerned that maybe Auber was acting up so I inserted the Maverick and confirmed the Auber temp.

As soon as the smoke cycle was over, I shut off the digital controll so I wouldn't have to second guess the Auber all day.

The verification of the temp came when it took 27 hrs to bring last big butt up to 192* IT.

Alot of the variations come from where you place your probe for Auber verses the fixed placement of the Bradley thermo.

There is differences from front to back, which is why most people rotate racks.

I would also think that as the back wall heats up it affects the Bradley temp too.

Have noticed in the past when you open the door the Auber probe temp drops pretty quick, but the Bradley temp is slow to fall,

again I would think to the back wall being quite warm.

Just my thoughts for what they are worth.

KevinG

I have to agree with CRG about placement. We have ovens at work and have to calibrate them regularly. To do so we place ten different thermocouples in the oven in different places. It's amazing to see how different each one measures.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG