• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Trimming a pork butt-pros and cons?

Started by KyNola, March 03, 2010, 01:14:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

Has anyone ever trimmed the fat cap on a pork butt?  The last couple of butts I have smoked had a pretty thick fat cap on it and I wound up with more fat in the meat than I prefer.  What do you think about trimming it down a little?  Do you think it would aid or hinder the bark forming?  I may be smoking a couple this weekend.  If I do, I may trim the fat caps down a little, depending on what you say.  I'm also thinking about rubbing one down with molasses rather than mustard too.  Any thoughts on that?

Thanks for your thoughts and advice.

KyNola

FLBentRider

I don't usually trim them, but I don't shred right away either.

I kind of divide the meat from the fat and leave the pieces whole, and let the end user shred on the plate.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

ronbeaux

They are all different around here so if the fat cap is pretty thick I might trim off some to get it down to around 3/8". Then cook it fat down so when it is fall apart tender only the fat part sticks to the grid.
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

squirtthecat

If I had a big layer of fat on after cooking, I try to scrape it off to the side..    I then pull the pork, deposit into another pan, then go back to the fatty bits and pick the bark out of it.

We get some like that around here...  The fat is at last 1/2" thick.   (and it doesn't all cook away after cooking overnight)

KyNola

STC,
Your last statement described what I'm talking about exactly.  Smoke/cook for 18-24 hours and when ready to pull you find a fairly thick soft fat layer directly underneath the bark that simply didn't cook away.

What effect, if any, do you think trimming down the fat cap will have on producing the bark?  Aid or hinder?

squirtthecat

Maybe slice the extra thick fat away, but cook it as well in a foil pan on the top rack..   When pulling, if the pork is a bit dry, mix some back in.

Just a thought.  ???

Tenpoint5

I don't think it will hinder your bard at all Larry. Trimming is up to you some I have some I don't it all depends on the size of the fat cap and how energetic I am at that time.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KyNola

Thanks guys.  I'm pretty sure I'll be doing at least 2 this weekend, maybe 4.  If I feel like I need to trim any, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Still toying with slathering at least one with molasses too.  Saw that over on Pelletheads in the MAK testing section.  Talk about putting smokers through their paces!

squirtthecat

Quote from: KyNola on March 04, 2010, 06:53:13 AM
Still toying with slathering at least one with molasses too. 

I saw that as well...     Give it a try on one of them!  (sounds messy)

classicrockgriller

That might be an interesting thing to try (trimming the fat cap off a Butt).

You would forsure get 4 sides of usable bark.

Maybe with an injection.

Molasses/Butter or Molasses/Creole Mustard slather.

KyNola

Looks like an experiment is going to happen this weekend. ::)

classicrockgriller

What about trimming the fat cap off.

Cutting them into smaller pieces and making slices all over the Butt,

and stuffing the slices with the pieces of fat cap.

bears fan

I trimmed the fat cap off my first butt I smoked and it turned out excellent.  Good bark and was still juicy and tender, so I wouldn't hesitate to do that again with one.  This was also my first attempt at smoking anything, so take this advice for what it's worth.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: bears fan on March 04, 2010, 05:07:23 PM
I trimmed the fat cap off my first butt I smoked and it turned out excellent.  Good bark and was still juicy and tender, so I wouldn't hesitate to do that again with one.  This was also my first attempt at smoking anything, so take this advice for what it's worth.

You would think that with all the fat inside the Butt that it would stay juicy.

Thanks for the thoughts from someone who has tryed it.

I love doing different things to butts and I haven't been able to mess one up yet.

KyNola

Thanks Bears Fan.  Good to have your experience on this. 

Jan came home with 2 butts.  They were kind of small so........sending her back tomorrow for 2 more.  The 2 she brought home have a thick fat cap on them so......yep, gonna trim the cap.  Not going to cut it completely away.  Down to 1/4 inch or so.

Will let you know the good, bad and ugly of the results.