• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Can your family do "Smoke ID" ?

Started by FLBentRider, March 08, 2010, 10:25:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLBentRider

I'm not sure if I'm the only one here, but I seem to be the only one that tastes the differences in the smoke flavors at my house.

I did the last brisket with four hours of Mesquite, the family (the Mrs in particular) says she can't tell the difference between that an say four hours of Oak or Hickory.

I can taste it right away, especially the mesquite, Hickory and Oak. Maple, Apple are a lot alike to me too.

They seem to be good at "levels" of smoke (too much or too little), but as far as flavors go it seems like I could go all WTS and put Mesquite on everything or go KyNola and use Hickory for everything.

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

classicrockgriller

About the only thing family knows is that I didn't use pine knots to smoke with.

They have never commented on different smoke flavors or even the amount of smoke.

If they bitch they don't get to eat. ;D

Quarlow

The only time I have ever really noticed the difference in smoke flavours is when I use mesquite. Other than that I don't have a very discerning palate for differing smoke flavours. It just shows my level of sophistication. Red neck!!! ;D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Tenpoint5

I'm with you FLB. I can taste the difference but family cannot. Although Momma can smell the difference in the garage. Quote "How come some days after you smoke it smells really good (Hickory) and others it smells like an ashtray?"
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

MPTubbs

I can taste the difference between the wood flavors.

I can really pick out Alder.

My go to wood would be Hickory...I really fancy that flavor.

If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

Waltz

The only one we can definitely identify is mesquite, which personaly I think is too ash-tray like. I can tell there is a difference with the others but cant tell which is which.

Waltz

Caneyscud

Funny, you ask.  This has been on my mind for a few months now, but just haven't been able to perform any tests.  I can usually tell mesquite from the others, but not always.  All the others taste much the same to me, even in "pure" form.  I've read somewhere that it is thought that an Oak bisquette is not 100% Oak, etc....  Reading on the Bradley site - it does not say 100% of "flavor" wood in a puck.  Might be, but might not be.  "Our wood master personally mixes every Bradley  Flavored Wood Bisquette for your enjoyment."  No problem - as many other wood smoking products are not.  I've devised a series of experiments that my fly fishing buddies will try to discern the diff flavors. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

KyNola

I resemble that remark! :D  FLBR, I'll have you to know I have 100 pounds of apple pellets in my garage as we speak.  Haven't used them yet but they're in there!  I also have alder, hickory, maple and apple Bradley pucks in my inventory. ;)  While I prefer hickory, I like apple on poultry and alder on fish.  Could I tell the difference in a blind taste test?  Maybe, but I'm not 100% sure I could.

CS brings up an interesting point about what actually makes up a puck or pellet.  To my knowledge, most of the pellets that are sold are a blend of a "base" wood and then combined with the "flavor" wood.  Traeger pellets are a base wood and then "flavored" with the oils from the flavor wood.

Interesting conversation.

FLBentRider

I _think_ I could identify the puck something was smoked with, but then we did the smoking, so we _know_.

I'm sure that there is some "power of suggestion" going on there.

I _think_ I'd do ok in a blind taste test but......
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

oakville smoker

Mine is becoming vey discerning
They can taste the difference and comment on what wood was used
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?