• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

My first batch of jerky is smokin! (Elk)

Started by Sweet35th, January 09, 2010, 10:50:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: KyNola on January 09, 2010, 06:44:49 PM
NePaS,
I'm pretty sure if you keep practicing you're going to get the hang of making jerky! ;) :D

KyNola

I might one of these days.

I got an email from photobucket saying i am almost at my storage limit  :D  :D

Sweet35th

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on January 09, 2010, 06:45:32 PM
Quote from: Sweet35th on January 09, 2010, 06:42:10 PM
  Sorry I need physical evidence!    ;D

Well ya better but some chains on the Ford cuz you'll never make it our dirt rd with the snow

LOL  thats the summer ride.   I think the F-350 could handle it just fine.  Hey wait a second, how did this turn into me taking a rode trip?
A wise friend once told me.   "If you sit on the couch all day long drinking beer, your an alcoholic...  If you sit in front of the smoker all day long drinking beer,  your a hero!"

KyNola

Does photobucket know who they're dealing with?

KyNola

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Sweet35th on January 09, 2010, 06:48:30 PM
Quote from: NePaSmoKer on January 09, 2010, 06:45:32 PM
Quote from: Sweet35th on January 09, 2010, 06:42:10 PM
  Sorry I need physical evidence!    ;D

Well ya better but some chains on the Ford cuz you'll never make it our dirt rd with the snow

LOL  thats the summer ride.   I think the F-350 could handle it just fine.  Hey wait a second, how did this turn into me taking a rode trip?

Well ya want a sample dont ya  :D  ;D

Sweet35th

Well all is said and done. Both batches are done, and both have sat for a day.  (not that that matter, but gave time for the beer buzz to wear off).  

The first batch did smoke too long, but despite that it very good.  I would going for a chipotle flavor and it has a smoke flavor, so not a failure just a different than expected out come.

The second batch I left more marinade on the meat, and sprinkled with a seasoned pepper.  I also only smoked it for 1.5hrs........It is AMAZING!!!!   And amazing hint of smoke and a great peppered taste.  It saddens me that I rightfully should give most of it back to the guy that gave me the 5#s of meat in the first place...While yes I did do all the work (well he shot it),  I give him cudos for volenteering to let me use his elk for my first attempt at smoking jerky...

NINJA EDIT   After going back and re-sampling the first batch,  the overwhelming smoke flavor that was there intialy has tamed down,  and it is quite good itself....More mild than batch two, and I like spicy so that makes it a close second for this round.
A wise friend once told me.   "If you sit on the couch all day long drinking beer, your an alcoholic...  If you sit in front of the smoker all day long drinking beer,  your a hero!"

Gizmo

I usually don't do more than 1 hour 20 minutes.  I use a dehydrator after the smoking though.  It is more consistent heating.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Sweet35th

Quote from: Gizmo on January 10, 2010, 03:00:27 PM
I usually don't do more than 1 hour 20 minutes.  I use a dehydrator after the smoking though.  It is more consistent heating.

I have used a dehydrator for years,  and I wish I could explain it better, but the end result is just always seeming to not have that "it factor"  that this jerky has.....Seriously I dont think I can ever buy it from the store again.

Pawistik

Hi Sweet,

Mind sharing that chipotle marinade recipe? I'm getting ready to do some jerky on the OBS and am scouring for some recipes and I sure like the sounds of a chipotle jerky.

Like you, I've done lots of jerky on the dehydrator (liquid smoke in the marinade) so am quite excited and anxious to do some real stuff in the smoker.

Cheers,
Bryan