• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Big enough to fit a turkey?

Started by CTSnake, April 30, 2005, 03:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CTSnake

I'm really considering buying a Bradley smoker but, I have concerns about the size. The pictures in the web site don't help. They give dimensions on the site but don't say wether they're inside or outside dimensions. I would like to be able to fit say a 12 lb turkey and hopefully have a shelf or two for fixin's. Has anyone done this? Can someone give me interior dimensions?

Thanks in advance,

CTSnake

Habanero Smoker

I will measure it latter, but I can assure you that a 12 pound turkey will fit, I have done serveral 12 pounders. I have seen a few posts where some have done larger, but a 12 pounder doesn't leave much room.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Habanero Smoker

Here are the dimensions I got for the cooking area of the BS:

<font color="green">16 1/8" Height </font id="green">(25 1/2" including area for water bowl)
15 3/8" Width
11 5/8" Depth

If I mis-measure, someone will correct this.

Edited
Please note the correction in the height adjustment. I measured from the bottom bracket to the top, and did not take into account the 1/2" depth of the basket.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

JJC

Hab is right, CTS, I've done a 14 lb turkey and it was a squeeze, while 12-13 pounders fit pretty well without much spare room.  I've also done several 7-8 lb turkey breasts (1 per shelf) with great results, too.

Let us know if you decide to buy the BS.  Always looking forward to adding another northeast BSer to the fold.  You'll absolutely love the Bradley . . . check out Chez's site for good prices and super service, as well as some accessories that you can't get anywhere else (Bubba pucks, different types of racks, etc).

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

CTSnake

Thanks for the quick and helpful responses. This forum rocks. Though, it does sound a bit small for the price.

Thanks again,

Brian

Habanero Smoker

Looking at the measurements may give the impression that it is small, but you can get a lot of food in this smoker. Once I did one butt (had room on that self for another butt), a brisket, two chickens (on one shelf), and still had one self empty. Another time I did two chickens (on one shelf), and a 12 pound turkey, and left the bottom self empty. If you have cuts of meat that are 1" thick or less (such as chicken parts, jerky, etc.), you can invert one tray on top of another, and double you cooking capacity.

I hope this answers some of your concerns about the capactiy.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Chez Bubba

Snake,

Whole turkeys are one thing, but we get 35-40# of assorted meat in each unit on our big smokes.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

nsxbill

Another option on Turkeys is to hang it, and you get more room for a bigger turkey.  I have bought some ham bags for that and for butt.  Hate cleaning shelves!

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Phone Guy

If you go with the Bradley you won't be disapointed. You have control of the heat and smoke. I havem't seen another unit like it at any price.

Habanero Smoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nsxbill</i>
<br />Another option on Turkeys is to hang it, and you get more room for a bigger turkey.  I have bought some ham bags for that and for butt.  Hate cleaning shelves!

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Bill,
This is something I would like to try, how large of a bird did you smoke. I did one 12 pounder vertically, and it was a snug fit when I closed the door. It's the depth, not the height or width that is preventing me from doing larger birds.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

nsxbill

The largest bird I have done so far was about 12lbs.  I thought I might be able to go bigger with hanging.  It was just a thought.  I almost think another option to consider is Spathcock prep before smoking for larger amount of meat.

Bill

There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Habanero Smoker

I was thinking or visioned [:)], if the turkey is hanging by it's legs the pull of gravity would compress the chest cavity[?]

I'm tempted to get a 16 pounder to test this. If it doesn't work, I'll butcher it. Separating the white and dark meat may be a better way to smoke turkey anyway. You can take out the white meat when it reaches 150/155 degrees F, and leave the dark meat in until it hits 160/165.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Habanero Smoker</i>
<br />I was thinking or visioned....compress the chest cavity<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
This thought too has entered my mind on occasion![;)]

Oops, wrong forum.[}:)][:D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Habanero Smoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Habanero Smoker</i>
<br />I was thinking or visioned....compress the chest cavity<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
OR
This is someones main concern after eating too many ABT's[:D]

I
         don't
                   inhale.

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Perhaps this was the Forum you were looking for?

John
Newton MA<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Nope, too many of the male persona there.[:D][:D][:D]

Kirk

Edit: Dang it John, I hacked up your original post instead of replying to it.[B)][:(!][V] Sorry![:I][B)]
John
Newton MA