• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

fresh ham

Started by viceman, March 27, 2010, 02:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viceman

i bought a fresh ham.  now what do i do with it  ;D

i have been looking around for a procedure to smoke a fresh ham and i was wondering if anyone has any links or suggestions

i think i made a mistake in thinking i can do this in a week!   

thanks

classicrockgriller

You probably can if you start today.

Look at this link and also check the recipe site.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=15068.0

recipe site:
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/

Tenpoint5

Here you go viceman. If you look under the curing section there is a couple of folks using this recipe and brining there fresh hams right now. They are using some recipe from this fella named 10.5 I have no clue who he is. ;D

Home Cured Ham

The Brine/Pickle for Ham that I used is
5 quarts ice water (38-40*F)
1 pound of Salt (I use Kosher)
1 cup Powdered Dextrose
2/3 cup Insta Cure #1

The recipe calls for the ham to be injected 10% by weight. I used 15%. To do the math here is the formula and explanation of how to do it.

Pump injecting formula is generally this...
15% x Xoz = oz per pump

My ham is around 22 lb or 352 oz; being 16oz per pound.
This now gives me  an easy plug in formula

.15 x 352oz =52.8oz needed for pumping

The injector I use holds 4oz at a time. Rounding off I get this...
52/4=13 or 52.8/4=13.2

So that means 13 full injections, or 13.2 if you wish to get technical, but the .2 isn't a problem

Mix the brine in the bucket. Then after injecting and making sure to get in the shank and around all the bones in the ham. Submerge the ham in the bucket and refrigerate for 5-7 days. Place in stockinette and hang in smokehouse.

Smoking
Hang Ham in preheated smoker to 120* and hold for 12 Hours (Vent Full Open) then
Increase temp to 140* start smoke and smoke for 8 Hours (Vent at Half) then
Increase temp to 170* until IT of 142* For a fully cooked ham, Hold until the IT reaches 152-155*
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

classicrockgriller

viceman, get started today and you can be smoking that ham saturday morn.

viceman

u guys are the best  

that 10 and a half guy must be some sort of smoker  genius

thanks for the link classicrockgriller  

do i need the stockinette if i am not hanging the ham. i intended to just put it on the rack or do oi need to rig up a hanger?

classicrockgriller

Quote from: viceman on March 27, 2010, 04:23:04 PM
u guys are the best 

that 10 and a half guy must be some sort of smoker  genius

thanks for the link classicrockgriller 

do i need the stockinette if i am not hanging the ham. i intended to just put it on the rack or do oi need to rig up a hanger?

You got a few days to figure that out and someone will answer you, but for now, get that Ham brined.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: viceman on March 27, 2010, 04:23:04 PM
u guys are the best  

that 10 and a half guy must be some sort of smoker  genius

Don't tell him that he will get a big head just ask Seemore

BTW you don't have to hang it in a net. The net is just for looks anyhow
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

You can also smoke them fresh, I have done that and you will be amazed at the flavor of fresh ham. If you smoke it fresh, I remove the skin, and most of the fat; leaving about 1/8"; letting it air dry uncovered overnight in the refrigerator. I generally season them with just salt, pepper and granulated garlic, but you can also inject them with any flavoring you want. I don't inject, because I like the flavor as is.

Place The ham in a preheated 220°F Bradley, and apply 4 hours of smoke (I use either apple or pecan). After applying the smoke, continue to cook until you reach a internal meat temperature of 152°F. At that temperature it is fully cooked, and ready to serve. With fresh ham I don't add a glaze, or any additional roasting.

An alternative way of smoking/cooking, after applying smoke, you can place it in a disposable foil pan, cover with foil and continue cooking from that point; but that is optional.

If you want to cure it, here is another recipe you can take a look at:
Smoked Cured Ham

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

viceman

i looked for the insta cure last night at the local stores and couldnt find it anywhere.  im running out of time to do the cure thing
and it is sounding like it will take more time than i have or care to put into it, at least this time.

i think i am going to take the lazy way out and just smoke it fresh.   

i just had my sister and her large family (10 including the grand kids) cancel on easter dinner so it looks like i am going to have a whole lot of ham (20 lbs)
left over.     i'll be eating ham for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for awhile:)

Habanero Smoker

Breakfast and a lot of sandwiches. You will not be disappointed by smoking it fresh.

Here are a list of some vendors, Allied Kenco, LEM, Butcher & Packer, Sausage Maker; all sell cure #1 under the product name of Instacure #1; don't mistake it for Instacure #2:

Vendors

Quick definitions of curing salts:
Curing Salts

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)