• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Cooks 'smoked' ham

Started by Kazmoe, April 03, 2010, 05:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kazmoe

Long time lurker here. 

You guys are by far the most helpful group I've seen. Hoping you can give me a little advice.

I have a 16lb whole 'smoked' ham that I plan on putting in the smoker here shortly... but I'm wondering about my time table.
Figured a little air time followed by 15hrs at around 190-200 would finish me up about right... but after rolling through a number of other posts, it seems that folks are all over the map on ham times.

What do you guys think?  16 lbs of commercial partially-cooked... 
Should I keep this slow?  or crank 'er up and just do it earlier tomorrow @ 250-275 and stick closer to their recommendation of 25min/lb (@ 325)?

Paul

mrdennisg

If you stick with the t-shirt method of olds you never goe wrong.
The ham has been cooked already, I just pulled mine out after hitting it with smoke for 5 hrs
had to pull it out as i could not control the heat tonight (long story).
internal was at 110 , let cool for a bit , rewrapped with t-shirt and wrapped it up tight with cellofane it now sits in fridge till tommorow. .... read the complete article http://www.susanminor.org/smokers/hams/presmoked/tshirtdoublesmoked.htm

Tommorow it will go in the oven to finish  :-*

Habanero Smoker

Here is another link to that same recipe:

T-Shirt Double Smoked Ham

If you plan on smoking/cooking and serving it today, you may need to modify the recipe. If serving today, I would not use more then 4 hours of smoke. I would apply the smoke at around 140°F, then crank up the smoker to 225°F - 250°F to bring the internal temperature to 140°F.

Or if you going to glaze it, take it out of the smoker after you have applied the smoke. Apply your glaze and transfer to your oven.

This is how I glaze my hams. You can use your favorite glaze. This if from my recipe of curing hams; just skip the curing instructions - use the glaze, and roasting directions.
Smoked Cured Ham

Glaze Ingredients: Glaze and roasting recipe adapted from Cook's Illustrated for the Bradley Smoker.
3/4 C. Maple Powder Sugar
3/4 C. Pineapple Juice
1/4 C. Brown Sugar, or 1 cup if you are not using the Maple sugar
1/3 C Dijon Mustard
1/4 C. Whole Grain Mustard

Roasting Directions:
Remove the ham from the refrigerator, and line a 9x13 roasting pan with a double layer of aluminum foil long enough to wrap the ham in. Make the glaze by combining all ingredients and whisking together. Place ham in pan, and liberally brush with glaze. Wrap tightly in foil, and let sit at room temperature for 1.5 hours.

Adjust oven rack to the lowest level, and preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Bake until the internal temperature is 100 degrees F. This will take about 2-3 hours; calculate about 17 minutes per pound.
Remove ham from oven. Cut off and remove the foil to expose ham; leaving only the foil that lines the pan. Increase oven temperature to 450 degrees F. Brush ham liberally with glaze and return to oven.
If you do not cut off the foil, any glaze that is stuck to the foil will smoke up your kitchen once the oven temperature is increased to 450 degrees F.

After 15 minutes, apply another liberal coat of glaze and bake for another 20 - 40 minutes; until glaze becomes a golden brown and sticky. Remove ham from oven, apply another liberal coat of glaze and loosely foil. Allow to rest 30-40 minutes before carving. During resting time, you can baste the ham with its juices once or twice.

Slice and serve. You can heat any remaining glaze to be used at the table.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)