• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Bradley BTIS1 is going back. Can't get over 125 Degrees.

Started by kjandb, April 03, 2010, 03:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kjandb

It's 55 degrees outside...a little wind...and I can't get my ribs over 125 degrees.  That is unacceptable for a $300+ smoker.  Unless someone can convince me otherwise, I really think I should return this.  Plus, the puck advance button sticks every time it is pressed...since day 1.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  I'm about to bring the ribs in and put them in the oven.  Very sad day.

aces-n-eights

kjandb, that sure doesn't sound right...  How many racks of ribs do you have in the smoker?  Were they refrigerator temp when you put them in?  How long have they been in the smoker?  Can you see if the heater element - on the back wall at the bottom - is glowing red?

A low temp like that sometimes means only the puck burner is heating.  If so, insure the cables are plugged in solidly.

Not sure on the puck advance - Bradley has some great customer service; i'd like to see you give them a try to get you fixed up.  Give them a call and i'll bet they can help.

Sorry you're having problems... 
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

kjandb

Quote from: aces-n-eights on April 03, 2010, 03:09:42 PM
kjandb, that sure doesn't sound right...  How many racks of ribs do you have in the smoker?  Were they refrigerator temp when you put them in?  How long have they been in the smoker?  Can you see if the heater element - on the back wall at the bottom - is glowing red?

A low temp like that sometimes means only the puck burner is heating.  If so, insure the cables are plugged in solidly.

Not sure on the puck advance - Bradley has some great customer service; i'd like to see you give them a try to get you fixed up.  Give them a call and i'll bet they can help.

Sorry you're having problems... 

It's about 4lbs...only using 2 racks. They were out of the refrigerator for about 30 minutes before headed to the smoker and they've been in for 1.5 hours.  I'll take a look at the heater element to see if it's working...but I'll lose all my heat :(

Either way, I think these ribs are destined for the oven until I can resolve this.  Thanks for your quick response!

kjandb

Just checked the heating element in the back.  It's definitely not glowing red.

justpete

May sound silly but have you unplugged and replugged.

I've read it many times here on the forum.

Peter

Quarlow

A few guys have had a little trouble with having to unplug and replug afew times to get the plugs to connect right. It is usually the problem. Another thing to try is to take the plug from main power source and plug it straight into the cabinet and then see if you get the element glowing. If so you may have another issue but they are generally easy to get straightened out. When people get there new smokers they should hook it all up and make sure everything is heating and running as it should. Then season it real well to make sure this part is right and then once you set it up to smoke something ensure that the element is working while you preheat the smoker. Also the wind is the mortal enemy of most things you want to get hot so put a screen around it.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Habanero Smoker

Check your temperature adjuster switch. It should be all the way to the right, make sure you didn't accidentally bump it and moved it to the left. If it still doesn't heat up, try using a desktop computer power cord and plug the cabinet directly into a socket.

As for the switch that happens at times, you can get a new switch by calling Bradley Customer Service, that should permanently fix the problem. In the mean time here is a quick fix.
Advance Button Sticks

Also this page may be useful:
Bradley FAQ's

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

kjandb

Thank you to everyone who responded.  I ended up doing a good ol fashion 'reboot' and the heating element started glowing red. And the push-pin is a great idea.  Headed to the garage now to glue it on...

aces-n-eights

Good news!  Hope you were able to salvage your ribs and whatever you smoke next will work perfectly.
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

Oldman

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!