• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Oven temp set at 320F, smoker on, ambient temp 69F, no wind, never got above 210

Started by Rich_91360, April 04, 2010, 01:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich_91360

Preheated for 60 minutes and then placed 2 pork butts in oven.  total weight 13 pounds. Took 17 hours to bring to 190F.

Could not get oven temp in middle of oven (two racks from bottom) above 210 even though digital temp readout said 265F

Solutions?

Thanks

Rich_91360

KyNola

2 questions for you.
1. What were you using to monitor temp readings?

2. When you preheated for 60 minutes, did you notice the temp reading prior to putting the butts in the smoker?

I'm begining to suspect that your heating element may not be functioning.  That's why I'm inquiring about the temp after 60 minutes of preheating.

Hang in there.  We'll find the solution.  I will say this on the front end.  Temp recovery with a load that size can be a long process.

KyNola

Quarlow

Were you going by the door thermo. Cause they are not great for any temp other than quick glances. Youl should get a digital probe type thermo and hang it under the second rack off of a couple of paper clips hook to the bottom of the rack. This will give you a good average temp for in the cabinet.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Rich_91360

DIgital temp on DBS6 read 230F when the butts went in

Had a hanging probe through vent hole inserted after butts went in and was hanging above second rack from bottom.  That is the one that I read the temp from.

KyNola

Rich,
Did you notice the temp reading from your probe after the 60 minute preheat before you put the load in or did you put your probe in the tower after you put the load in?

KyNola

MPTubbs

Sounds like to me that is normal.

Next time....foil the back of the V tray closing off the vents but not the drain hole.
(a good old boy from Texas told me that trick)

Push the V tray all the way back against the back wall...that will stop the heat from rising and hitting the temp. probe.

Keep vent at least 1/2 open to all the way open.

Hope this helps.
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

RAF128

I agree, it sounds normal with that amount of meat.   Last weekend I did a small brisket no where near the weight you had.    My PID didn't get past 204 although it was set at 225.    The next day I tested the smoker empty and no problem.   It went to 270 empty.   I also used the tin foil on the back half of the V tray.   

Caneyscud

Yep, sounds pretty normal to me also.  From your description that you couldn't get temp above 210 in the middle of the oven, I would assume you meat was on a rack somewhere on the bottom rack or the second from the bottom.  Two things seem to happen with that setup.  One is that the meat "traps the heat and the other is pure thermodynamics.  Heat travels the path of least resistance.  That means it travels to the place with the most temperature differential (i.e. to the coolest place usually).  The coolest place is the meat.  Therefore the heat will be rushing into the meat.  The 210 to 265 differential means that 55 degrees worth of heat is going into your meat - well sorta.  The Bradley element is not large (500W) and doesn't put out a boundless quantity of heat.  The 13 pounds of butt was absorbing quite a bit of that heat before it could get up to your hanging thermometer.  When you have that setup, it is good to flip your meats at least once. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Rich_91360

With the foli on back of v rack, with hole open, do you have issues with fat pooling on foli.

Rich_91360

Based on commenst above looks like it might have been the 13 lb of pork butts that resulted in temperature.

Yesterday did four chicken halves, took 4 hours, and temp did get in the 250F range.  Chickens turned out great. 
Marinade overnight / light dijon mustardd slather / dry rub

MPTubbs

Quote from: Rich_91360 on April 05, 2010, 07:10:29 AM
With the foli on back of v rack, with hole open, do you have issues with fat pooling on foli.

Very little pooling.

The foiling will force most of the heat to the front of the smoker.

Therefore it won't go up the back wall and hit the temp. probe giving you goofy readings.
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

RAF128

Quote from: Rich_91360 on April 05, 2010, 07:10:29 AM
You cover only the back louvers.   Leave the drain hole at the bottom open so it can drain.

neffrey

i just got a BDS and i was wondering???? does the oven work when the smoker is not on??
please help!!!!!!

classicrockgriller

Yes, you don't have to have the smoke gen on for the oven to work.

Welcome to the forum.