• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Darn Gnats!!!

Started by hal4uk, May 03, 2010, 09:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hal4uk

The weather is getting nice, and it's great to be outside cooking/smokin' and such...
But, pesky gnats can spoil everything and drive you back inside...
When they fly in you mouth, ears, and eyes, it ain't no fun.
I have read mixed reviews about the power of VANILLA to ward these nasty beasts away.
I think the people that say it doesn't work, tried a vanilla spray, and then went out all day fishin' of golfin' or whatever..
Well, here's what I have learned.  My neighbor offered me a spray of some "vanilla sugar" stuff (from some fancy store in the mall)..
And it worked!!! Immediately, the gnats stopped bothering me.
However, a couple of hours later, they attacked me again.
Seems, the scent wears off after a bit --- but -- IT FLAT OUT WORKS.
I went to GFS and bought a large bottle of vanilla extract.  Mixed some with water in a spray bottle.
Every couple of hours outside, I spray this all over, and the devils don't come near me.
Point is:  IT WORKS GREAT.  But, it wears off after a while.  Just re-spray...  But, IT WORKS, AND IT WORKS WELL.
Awrighten.

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

classicrockgriller

Don't let me get started on this! ;D

DTAggie

CRG - you saying it works or not?

classicrockgriller

Quote from: DTAggie on May 03, 2010, 09:56:00 PM
CRG - you saying it works or not?

I really don't know ....

But I know where I see most gnats! ;D

hal4uk

It works real good.  But it don't work on CRG
I sprayed him with a mix of VX gas and Agent Orange once.
He just perked up some.
Awrighten.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

squirtthecat

These particular gnats are 'buffalo gnats'.  They are awful, and their bite can leave a welt on you. (trust me, I have bumps on my head from the last time I mowed without my hat)  They've been killing flocks of young chickens as well.

I find that Alder smoke keeps them away..   Trying to find a way to mount my Bradley smoke generator on my push mower now.   ;)

BuyLowSellHigh

There is so much I could say about spraying yourself with vanilla, but like CRG I will let my better judgement rule and keep quiet.   ;D ;D ;D

When you feel you have the gnats conquered let me know and I'll ship you some fire ants to work on.  They don't fly, but they don't need to.  Figure out how to conquer them and we'll get rich!  After that I have some TX salt marsh mosquitoes waiting.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

squirtthecat

Good Lord no, we don't need fire ants!

KevinG

I just ride my motorcycle with my mouth open, that usually wipes out a couple thousand a day. blah.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG