• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Dry curing Trout.

Started by itchybeard, April 27, 2010, 10:11:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

itchybeard

Hi All.
I have just dry cured my first lot of Rainbow Trout (Large Fillets) hacked a bit at the few fillets but I'm getting better I think. Oh and I have done some gravlax with a
couple of fillets also.

The main points I would like to clear up are fridge temperature. Mine does not seem to go lower than 7oC is this ok ?
Also I am told 12hours curing before smoking.
Notice that some guys weigh the fillets down also is this necessary?

Now the last question.....honest.  Would you stagger the temperatures while smoking or use one constant.

Forgive me if these have been covered before.

Cant wait to smoke and taste them... ;)

Thanks.
Happy Smoking ><((((((o>~~~~~
Itchy

Just coming dear...:D

RAF128

If you're curing it to smoke I don't think you have the weigh them down.   Gravlox is usually not smoke.   Every recipe I've seen for gravlox required a weight to press them down.    Think it helps to get the moisture out and get the cure in.

Habanero Smoker

I don't cure much fish. The 7°C = 45°F. It's a little high, but with the salt and the short curing time you will be alright. I would not use that refrigerator for everyday storing of perishables.

Pressing either lox or gravlox, that step can be skipped, but it can be simply done by placing a plate on top of the fish and add some weight. If you are hot smoking which your post suggests, then pressing is not necessary.

Twelve hours is about average, but it depend on how thick your fillets are, and how much salt you applied.

If you are hot smoking these, then I would slowly ramp up the temperature. I generally use the temperature in Kummok's recipe. If you are cold smoking you want to kept the temperature between 70°F - 90°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

itchybeard

Thanks all.
Its making more sense the more I do and the more I read on this forum.
Staring to understand the science behind it as well.

Cheers.
Happy Smoking ><((((((o>~~~~~
Itchy

Just coming dear...:D