• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoked Bison?

Started by Captainslug, April 28, 2010, 09:56:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captainslug

Has anyone out there have any experience smoking Bison meat?  I have a chance to get some (not sure of what cuts yet), but want to make sure its worth it.
Bradley Digital 4 Rack Smoker, 8 Std Racks, cold smoke adapter, 3 alum. pucks, 2nd element, circ. fan, Dual probe PID

RAF128

IMO you can use it like beef.    There will be a brisket and you could make jerky.    Those are the only things I've done with beef.    There are likely other things and someone will have some suggestions.

FLBentRider

From what I understand it is leaner than beef, and it may dry out easier.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

It is very lean..    I've had it, but never cooked with it.

db14

It is definitely more lean than beef, so keeping it from drying out will be your biggest challenge.  I'm sure you could get some really good tasting stuff with a little creativity though.

NePaSmoKer

Yes i have. If its ground i cut in a little 80/20 GB to add some fat. If your going to be doing whole muscle do a tenderize on it with a wet marinade and some canola oil.

RAF128

I've had a roast from bison.   I don't know what cut it was or how it was prepared.    Because it's leaner than beef I expected it to be dry.    Well, it wasn't.    I was pleasantly surprised and I found it to be quite delicious.    As I said, I didn't have anything to do with the preparation.    I do think that if you're using it you should keep a close watch on it.

classicrockgriller

I got 90/10 ground Bison and mix it with 90/10 ground sirloin and made some killer hamburgers.

But they ended up costing about $6 a lb.

I just don't do that very often.

RAF128

It's interesting that you mention bison burger.    First off, we don't make our own.   Usually no time.   The decision to do a few burgers is a last moment thought so we've been buying premade patties, frozen of course(gonna get some flack here ;)).    The butcher shop I frequent make sereral flavors and they're all good.    One day I spotted a small box of bison burgers.   Cost was close to required a 2nd morgage.   Had to try them.   Well,,,,,,,didn't like them at all.    I don't know what spices were in there but we didn't eat them.   They were a real disappointment.    Dog enjoyed them but she's not very fussy when it comes to people food.    Anything made for people must be she figures ;D.

stantonl

Add me to the list of people who have had it and think you will have a bit of a challenge keeping it from drying out.