• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Slider adjustment

Started by powrsmoker, May 08, 2010, 01:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

powrsmoker

Used my Bradley a couple times and so far have been pretty happy.  I was always considering getting the PID but I feel I can live without one right now, one thing I wanted to ask was about the slider adjustment for the temperature. I personally find that it does absolutely nothing for about 3/4's of the movement.  Most of the adjustment is in the last 1/4 near the right side, I also find it quite finicky when trying to adjust, even moving it slightly to adjust the temperature I find it will drop 50 degrees, as opposed to just 10 or 20 degrees. 

Will the PID provide better control over the temperature ranges?  Or is this just a design of the heating element? 

DarqMan

The PID will keep it within the specified temperature within 1 or 2 degrees.  I'm using mine today for the first time and I'm having to find something else to do with my time. It's very nice.
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

Ernie_in_NC

Great info. I looked at a popular PID and, while I get how the power cables connect and where the heat sensor is dropped into the smoker, and where the temperature read-out is located, it's not clear to me HOW the PID controls the temperature control in place of the built-in slider mechanism. I'm obviously missing something. Help?

HawkeyeSmokes

Hey Ernie_in_NC, the slider control on the OBS is set on high (and left on high) when you use the Auber PID.

The PID then controls the temp by cycling the current on and off the the heating element.
HawkeyeSmokes

Quarlow

Quote from: powrsmoker on May 08, 2010, 01:28:27 PM
I personally find that it does absolutely nothing for about 3/4's of the movement.  Most of the adjustment is in the last 1/4 near the right side, 
If you think it does nothing till 3/4 put it to half way, wait 20 mins and then stick your finger on the element. You will soon find that it is doing more than you think. 8)
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

powrsmoker

If you think it does nothing till 3/4 put it to half way, wait 20 mins and then stick your finger on the element. You will soon find that it is doing more than you think. 8)
[/quote]

I meant from a cooking standpoint.  You are right though, my finger hurts now.  Thanks for ruining my weekend.

Quarlow

Ok if you were my kid I would have expected you to actually do it. But I didn't think a grown man would do anything I said to do. Then again I always was a bad influence on my friends. :D :D :D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

RDowty

I have been through 2 slide adjusters which is the worse design feature of the Bradley Smoker and needs to be moved the control on the bottom is open to weather even with the cover on and also drippings from the unit.

I have just bought the 6 rack digital model to replace my 4 rack original in frustration, hopefully the digital will perform better, I agree with the comment about temperature control.

RAF128

When I used to use my OBS it sat outside.   I'd play with the slider and get it to the temp I wanted.    Then the air temp would go up or the sun would hit the smoker and everything changed and had to play with the slider again.   Or I'd have everything set and then the wind would come up and cool the box down.   The PID solves that problem IMO.   With the exception of cold smoking with my cold smoke adapter, every thing now is cooked with the PID, either the OBS or the 6 rack digital.

ArnieM

You have to realize that the OBS has no thermostatic temp control.  The slider functions the same way a light dimmer does.  Set it to the 'level' you want.

Now go put something on that finger.  (Shame on you cousin Q  ;D)
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Quarlow

I'm a BAAAAAD BOY.  ;D ;D ;D

OBS
BBQ