Oh Nuts!!!!!

Started by seemore, June 13, 2010, 10:35:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seemore

Had a couple nutty Saturdays because our cupboard was full of nuts, so it was time for a major smoke!
Here is the first batch:

I found the recipe online, somewhere.  Basically, it was 2 pounds of almonds, barbecue spice rub,honey and a little oil.  It was ok, but not great.
This next one turned out to be a favorite of ours.  We had half of a large can of cocktail cashews, to which we added 1 t of Chipotle seasoning, which we got from Arnie:

These were absolutely delightful, and Mrs. dubbed them "Smokey Arnies", in honor of the seasoning.
The next batch of almonds we made and were going to follow the jalapeno pistachio recipe, but we ran 1 1/2 T short of Jalapeno Tabasco, and ended up using the rest of the Jalapeno Tabasco and 11/2 T of Chipotle Tabasco.  They were left in the smoker a tad too long, but June thought that even those were good!

Next, we did some cashews with a bit of oil, Wasabe powder, and Mesquite seasoning. 

Finally, we just smoked some pecans without adding any seasoning or oil to them at all:

All of these were smoked using Hickory for 30 minutes. 
The pecans had a really nice smoke to them, and tasted "meaty".
Last night I made a simply syrup of water, sugar, and cinnamon, and chopped up some pickled jalapenos:

I then added those smoked pecans and stirred them until the syrup was almost completely gone.
I put them on my Silpat and cooked them for 30 minutes in a 300 degree oven.

These pecans are AMAZING!  You can taste the smoke, the jalapeno, and a little bit of the cinnamon!
Tasha was not at all impressed with our endeavors, however:

seemore

KevinG

Those nuts look awesome!
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

deb415611

Nice!

I really like the looks of those pecans.

DarqMan

Wow, those look delicious!
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

Up In Smoke

Looks like another line on the to do list!
Those look wonderful.
i wonder what the pecans would taste like over ice cream?
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

BuyLowSellHigh

I'll bet they're great next to a really good Margarita.  an accidental discovery about 15 years ago was that simple salted smoked almonds (like the Blue Diamond ones out of the can) was the perfect side accompaniment to a really good Margarita on the rocks or perfect.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

hal4uk

Ohhhh yeahh...  Those all look tasty... But the pecans...
Uhhhh...  Is it OK to LICK my computer screen?
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Gizmo

Confirmed the Seemores are NUTS.
And what a way to be !!!!!!!!!!!!

Yummm
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

StickyDan

I'm curious. How where the wasabi cashews?  did it go well with mesquite?

OU812

All them nuts look great

I'm hooked on smoked peanuts but am gonna smoke up some other nuts,
one of these days.

classicrockgriller

That was a nutty kind of weekend!

Everyone one looks just plum delicious.

That would make a great gift at hoilday time.

TestRocket

That's funny to run across this right now. Almost everyday when I come in from work Miss Jan and I talk about our day and usually munch on dry roasted peanuts, cashews, pistachios (occasionally over an adult beverage) some kind of nut. Well today she opened a can of smoked almonds. After thinking of the smoked pistachios I saw the other day I said "maybe we could smoke some kind of nut?" LOL, could be in the cards?

seemore

Sorry for the delay in responding.  We have been out camping, and came in town to cut the grass and do a load of laundry.
Yes, those nuts are all good.
The Wasabi powder is old, and I have a feeling it lost it's potency.
We have made the pecans without the jalapenos, and put that over ice cream.  It is yummy!  The nephews cleaned out our ice cream and pecans last time they were over.....
I bet the jalapeno pecans would be just kicky enough to put over ice cream, though.  Our very first post on this forum was a jalapeno ice cream that Mr. made.  Now THAT would be good too!!!!!
Try all of these, and see what variations you can do. 
For whoever mentioned margaritas, thanks.  I am planning to drink some strawberry margaritas when we get back to camp now.....
Mrs

Tenpoint5

I'm still waiting on my taster samples to be delivered!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

StickyDan

I've actually tried jalapeno ice cream.  Can you say instant heart burn?